Coral Vue Hydros

New Chalice

pschom

Just picked up this chalice from the closest LFS with the largest coral selection. I've never had a problem there...other than they still don't remember what type of setup I have and I go in there once a week! Anyway, Two questions: What is the name of this and what are those white strands all over it? Defense? Thx.

Pic 2

post-58169-1298753976_thumb.jpg

post-58169-1298754106_thumb.jpg

was it showing mesenterial filaments before you added it to the tank? they're almost always a defense mechanism in hard corals (as opposed to corallimorphs, which seem to turn inside out if you look at them funny), although stress could also play a factor as fishmonger mentioned.

cool chalice. when an LPS coral is stressed out, it'll release slime. it's like a natural stress coat for them. it's completely normal. looks like your shrimp is pickin at it in the second picture lol i hope that's not the case.

Yeah that was just after acclimation and dipping in Coral Revive. They are gone now. I saw a shroom do that once too, but never knew what it was. it's weird I used to hate chalices but they are so intriguing to me now. No one knows a name?

Builder Anthony

Man i been looking for some of that at a decent price.How much did you pay?It might be bubbkle gum but im no expert in that chalice stuff.

I got this frag that's already spreading for $39. They have reasonable prices. Some are outrageous like the 'collectors' pieces. They have zoas and chalice frags for like $200. WTF. They have a bunch of chalice frags for even less than I paid. If ur close to MD it's called Aquarium One in Rockville MD.

Are you on their email list? They usually get new stuff in every/every other Thursday or Friday. I live so close to that place when I get the email I'm there within two days to check it out. And to qbical: TRUST ME there are quite a few LFS in the DC Metro area that suck. I won't name names, but there's one just north of Aq. 1 that has a very sad coral selection... It's not their specialty, but come on guys. If your going to do it at least get the names right and keep the product alive long enough to get it out the door.

i think that one is called the miami hurricane but i might be wrong. i saw a mother colony the other day that looked exactly like that!

BonsaiFishguy

is it green or blue? If it is blue with pink eyes then it is most likely a blue boobie aka: cotton candy. But to me it looks more green so i would second on saying it is a mummy eye.

It's wierd. After a couple days I placed it Midway up on a rock. I thought that by doing this it would be better having more light and a little more flow. It ha since darkened to a green color BUT the 'eyes' have remained red so that's cool. Mummy eye it is...

Archived