Pod Your Reef

Supplements?

Blinkgyrl2987

Blinkgyrl2987

I bought Kent Marine Calcium Buffer part and Part B..... will I even need these/ or will a weekliy water change be enough for soft corals? Currently I only have mushrooms because I'm taking things slow.... but in the future I would like a variety of other corals. Could someone explain to me the pros and cons of the calcium buffer stuff? and also if you wouldn't mind could you throw out some corals that would be easy to keep other than the mushrooms and zoo's I'm looking for ideas... and other peoples favs.. thanks a lot. By the way I have the JBJ nanon cube so the light is probably minimal..... but what could I keep under these lights?Thanks again ~Megan

Only buffer if you need to. You'll need to get a test kit and measure the amount of calcium in the water. Ideally you want 400-450 ppm. You also need to test for magnesium which will help keep the calcium "available" to be used by corals, snails, etc. 2 part buffers usually have an alkalinity component which will help with buffering pH and with keeping calcium levels up so if use both parts keep an eye on your pH and alkalinity as well.

Your light should be fine for zoos and mushrooms. Possibly an open brain or Xenia depending on placement in the tank (distance form the light). Obviously non-photosynthetic corals like chilli and gorgonians would do alright but they can be difficult to keep due to their own requirements (flow and feeding).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived