Coral Vue Hydros

My next project, A 2.5gallon Pico reef!

DonnieP

I have two pumps running, one in the rear chamber for return and another in the display for flow, both are via aqua va80, the pumps are small and produce zero heat at only 2.7 watts. I have had no problems with these pumps after 9 months.

Specifications

Maximum head: 23.6"

Dimensions: 1 3/4" L x 1 3/4" W x 1 1/4" H

Wattage: 2.7

GPH: 79

Variable flow control: yes

Cord length: 6’

You can find them on ebay for less than $10.00, I got mine from Amazon.com for less than that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a similar setup, pretty much a pump, heater and light. my fuge is the display tank with random macros growing. its been running 2 years strong. Keeping it simple just works. Your tank looks great and should thrive for years. you can slow your coral growth by knocking the tank temp down over the course of a few weeks. I keep my around 76.

They did lighten up, I believe its the leds, I ran into the same thing in my 28g JBJ led, the sps loose their dark colors, they grow fantastic in the 28g but colors wash out. Thats why I changed the led color in the pico to almost all blue but the colors are still just not there, I really think this is the problem with coralline not growing too, I mean when water test show 460 on calcium and 10 DKH on alk, coralline should grow in a high flow tank and there is none. You can see from the plating onto the rocks that sps is growing just not colored up, any suggestions are welcome on getting colors back. I have a coralife 18 watt light I'm thinking about switching to after the first of the year and see if that makes a difference. I can't change anything right now because the tank is in a pico contest that ends at the end of this month. Also unsure if the cooler temp of 76 might be affecting colors.

might want more carbon and nitrogen sources for nutrients via feeding. you are feeding e2W and its holding, they are base plating, might be room for more feeding with at least a coupled water change. just brainstorming w more in/out nutrient provisions

the led's are great, they indeed could be skewing the results all my advice is based off pc use lol 1990s man here. height is important w led's Im reading

regardless of action taken, I feel you will have to maintain it consistently for two months to see any change in color/zooxanthellae density. I don't think 76 is bad Ive had sps at that lower level before

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't worry too much about coraline growth, it took 18 months + for me to see any purple coraline in my pico. Plenty of green, before that, just not purple.

PS I was also using LEDs and dosing calcium twice a week.

How is this tank doing

If its still strong its the only sealed Pico I know currently running, anywhere. You will find none currently running on other boards!

Yes my pico is still up and running! I will try to post pics tomorrow. I have changed added a couple of corals. The pico as of today is 11 months and 2 weeks old.

• 1 month later...

Tank looks good.

The coraline and SPS color can probably be attributed to the LEDs. in my 5.5 gallon I never had an issue with coraline, but SPS color got washed out. Once I cut back on the number of LEDs, and took off the optics. Colors have returned.

Archived