Pod Your Reef

cycling

moultonrock

moultonrock

Hi everyone!

im planning on setting up a 10g nano.

this will be my first attempt with saltwater. i don't have all the equipment yet but it's nice to have some questions answered ahead of time. like everybody says... PLAN, PLAN, and PLAN some more.

so here is my question:

LS and LR during cycling, or just LS, or LS gradually adding LR?

This is really down to personal preference etc. but I will give you a few of my experiences in the matter.

It is perfectly possible to simply setup the tank, connect all the pumps, lights, heaters etc, add water then leave it for a couple of hours. When you have ensured that all is running as it should be after 3 or 4 hours you can add your LR. If however, you are not using RO (Reverse Osmosis water), I would suggest that you leave the tank like this for a couple of days, if not weeks before you add your LR. In my opinion, RO water is the only type that can be used completely safely when running any sort of tank as you can be sure of its stability before risking all your precious livestock. Please ensure that you are testing your water as you go along as this is paramount when establishing and running your nano.

If you are having a sump or refugium I think it would be best to ensure that the setup is running OK and that your mangroves, Caulerpa etc. are settling in for a few days, then add your LS to your refugium. If your water is still testing correctly after another few days, you an then go the full monty and add your LR.

Let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

moultonrock

so, are you saying that the first day or so there shouldn't even be LS? i'm planning on using natural filtration only.

For the first few days it is not a good idea to have LR or LS in the tank while it adjusts and the temps are stable along with salinity which most people keep at around 1.021. After these first few days it is perfectly possible to add the LR and LS together if you so wish, it all depends on your tank's stability when you first set it up and if you are using RO water.

Thanks

Chris

Archived