Innovative Marine Aquariums

Controllers

Amo2011

I have scoured high and low to find the solution. Most threads are a year or so old.

So its almost March of 2011. Reefkeeper elite or Apex?

Pro's?

Con?

Favorite?

overall cool factor?

I plan on dropping 500 to 600 with all the probes and want to get the best bang for my buck......

seems the crowds are split on these.... i come to the experts with my question. enlighten me... please and thanks

*** I also realized there is no where I can find a side to side comparison........ that would be nice****

I will be tagging along. Wondering the same thing. I am leaning towards the apex lite because I dont really need 240 modules. Right now all I have is 28 gallon nano, but I want to soup it up as much as I can. I like the apex cause you can program it on your computer. I also called both customer service numbers with questions. the person I talked too neptune was really helpful and took the time to talk to me. Digital aquatics in the other hand sounded like I was annoying him. Sorry DA but when im considering dropping 500 bucka, I miiiiiight have a few questions.

Apex, hands down. Better customer support, they've actually delivered new modules instead of just promising them and you can wirelessly control your Vortech(s) :)

Another feature of the Apex is that you can control LED/T5 lighting in terms of dimming. That said I have owned and used both products and both products are very well engineered and designed and both do work as advertised. However at this point I am using Apex exclusively.

Another feature of the Apex is that you can control LED/T5 lighting in terms of dimming. That said I have owned and used both products and both products are very well engineered and designed and both do work as advertised. However at this point I am using Apex exclusively.

I could never get the RKL to work as advertised with the ALC module that along with the general lack of confidence I got from DA led me to sell all my DA stuff and get an Apex.

Thanks guys i appreciate everyone's input.

I could never get the RKL to work as advertised with the ALC module that along with the general lack of confidence I got from DA led me to sell all my DA stuff and get an Apex.

I have the RK lite, ph probe, temp, ato, ALC to control my diy led. It was a bit difficult to get right, but now I have no problem. I think once you understand the menu and program functions, it works fine. I control 2 moonlights and 2 Mean well drivers with 1 ALC, each driving a string of 10-3W led's. It may not be as user friendly as other controllers, but I have had no problem with customer support. Good communication with support, and the forum on the RK site got mine up and going with no problems for now. My LEDs ramp up over a 3 hour period, ramp down same thing. LED's look great and if I understand it correctly, you can use the NET module to keep track of your system, I'm not certain if you can actually CONTROL the system via NET module, but you should be able to check the system. It is said to be able to alert you via e-mail or text, I don't have the NET module. I think I spent around $169 or so for the RKL with ph probe special at Christmas time, $69 or so for the ALC and $16 for the two moonlights. The ato switch was $24, I use it to power an air pump on my diy ato. Works great.

I have the RKE running my clown system now and its awesome. I have a RKL on my nano. I just bought a reef angel to try it out. who knows it might be better than DA or apex. I did have a problem with my head unit and i emailed DA and they helped me out and got it fixed in no time. i never owned an apex, so i cant comment.

reason i went with the DA is price for what i wanted to do with my equipment.

Any RSM owners using a controller? Either APEX or RK? thanks

I would like to get your input.... maybe some pictures.

Hum, it would be nice to hear from those who have used both Digital Aquatics and Apex. I have only used the RKE system so my opinion is obviously biased but I personally love it.

I bought it to control an LED fixture on a 14gal tank . . . overkill I know but I wanted to use the dimming feature to ramp my lights in and out over an extended period of time. Since the initial purchase I have accumulated many modules and control two complete tanks with the system including all my main lights, moon lights, fuge lights, heaters, pumps etc.

Setup was nearly plug and play right out of the box and programming is very intuitive on the head unit. The new myReef2.0 also allows you to program through your computer which makes things that much easier.

I had a few issues setting up programs for my pumps since they are all on multi-timer functions to simulate waves so I posted my issues on the Digital Aquatics support forum and received a response in less than 24hrs. While their support over the phone is not the best, the support forum seams to turn around answers in a timely manor.

I have nothing but good things to say about the RKE but again don't know how the Apex works, or how it may be capable of more functions as someone mentioned above.

Archived