Cultivated Reef

Ulva and turbos

Braxis

I knew there was a chance that the snail would eat some of my macros but not 2/3 of a single one in 8 !@#$%%$ hours! So I think that my awesome giant turbo has to go :angry:

I want something that will clean the algae on the rocks but not my good stuff. Is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Yeah, turbo snails are bad for macro collections. Mine ate my fire fern and red titan algea. They even rasped on my codium and saw blade culpera - triggering the culpera to go asexual (I'm guessing). So I sold all my turbos. Now I use black foot trochus snails and certh snails only.

My red titan is finally starting to show tiny regrowth 3 months after being eaten down to the calcified base.

Yeah, turbo snails are bad for macro collections. Mine ate my fire fern and red titan algea. They even rasped on my codium and saw blade culpera - triggering the culpera to go asexual (I'm guessing). So I sold all my turbos. Now I use black foot trochus snails and certh snails only.

My red titan is finally starting to show tiny regrowth 3 months after being eaten down to the calcified base.

Those two leave you macros alone totally or too small to do to much damage?

I can't be 100% sure they do no damage, but if they did, I haven't noticed. They will (ceriths especially) climb on to the leaves of macros and eat accumilated detritus and/or tiny hair like growths some macros have on new leaves. This doesn't hurt the macros as far as I can tell.

Those two leave you macros alone totally or too small to do to much damage?
Builder Anthony

I use astera starfish about 25 of them in a 5 gallon tank.I have 1 small snail.They eat coraline algae.I have yet to see damage to zoas with 5 differnt species includeing brown.

I use astera starfish about 25 of them in a 5 gallon tank.I have 1 small snail.They eat coraline algae.I have yet to see damage to zoas with 5 differnt species includeing brown.

I like the coraline algae though. Hmmmm do they take care of the hair algae?

johnmaloney

you want something that will have the cutting power to get through filamentous algae without chomping into more complex macro algae. (which tend to be desirable). ceriths, nerites and even conchs will lack that cutting power but still be able to take out hair algae.

you want something that will have the cutting power to get through filamentous algae without chomping into more complex macro algae. (which tend to be desirable). ceriths, nerites and even conchs will lack that cutting power but still be able to take out hair algae.

Sweet! That is good to know I will need to get some soon I think to combat my hair algae. Thanks for the heads up.

Archived