Cultivated Reef

Looking for Tips on feeding with Strong Current

Icebox1230

Just upgraded to a 125G tank. Six feet long with two overflows in each back corner. Also have two Hydor 4 poweheads on both sides of the tank. I had an auto fish feeder with a feeding ring set up on the previous tank. It worked out well because I didnt have such a strong current. I am looking for tips or tricks on setting up an automatic feeding device. I currently have 2 clowns, 12 chromis and a yellow head sleeper. Currently I am releasing flakes by hand underwater and it is working out ok.

My crazy work schedule doesnt allow me to feed the fish on a regular basis. Does anyone have any tricks to setting up a automatic feeder with flake or pellets that works in a strong current tank? I will not be able to hand feed the fish everyday nor do I want to turn off my pumps everytime I feed.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Tough situation. Can you automate the pumps being off at the same time as when you auto feed? You could even just use cheap timers that turn the pumps off for half an hour and set the feed for right in the middle so that there is some wiggle room if the timing is off?

Tough situation. Can you automate the pumps being off at the same time as when you auto feed? You could even just use cheap timers that turn the pumps off for half an hour and set the feed for right in the middle so that there is some wiggle room if the timing is off?

I have noticed that at times the Hydor 4's spin in reverse when turned off then turned back on. I just unplug the pump, bang on it then plug it back in and it returns to normal. I guess I could set the return pump and powerheads on a timer. Is that normal to constantly turn all pumps off to feed your fish?

I turn off all my pumps and my sump. Then I feed and wait 20 minutes so they can eat all the food that's scattered around. I don't really want that stuff going down to the sump and degrading. I feed frozen though so it's more of a problem.

I turn off the power strip that has my pumps on it when I feed. Then I turn it back on for 30 seconds, then off again once all the food has risen off the sand from where it fell. Sort of like 2 feedings right after one another. Then back on about 10 minutes later. So mine are off and on twice for each feeding session.

When do you find time to feed everyday? I would imagine that most of us have jobs and unfortunately for me, it is not a 9 to 5 job. I would like to avoid hand feeding because it would be at really irregular times. I would like to be as consistent in my feeding as possible.

I feed after work. Usually sometime between 6 and 8 PM. Not every day. But most days.

When do you find time to feed everyday? I would imagine that most of us have jobs and unfortunately for me, it is not a 9 to 5 job. I would like to avoid hand feeding because it would be at really irregular times. I would like to be as consistent in my feeding as possible.

Irregular work times does suck.....if you can automate the pumps them that is probably your best bet. Even if the pumps are on, the fish will eat. They just need to learn to be fast!

I don't feed everyday. I feed every other day and sometimes every three days. I do throw in an algae sheet everyday though. When I feed every day i get cyano problems due to nutrient issues. Some people can do a great job of feeding everyday though, it's just not for me.

I feed very seldom.

Maybe twice a week on average, three or four maybe if i'm feeling generous.

But then i also have a very healthy population of pods and Mysid in my tank.

you need to have the autofeeder dump into an area where the flow will then be taken underwater. I have modded an aquaclear filter to have an underwater output, and then i cut a hole in the filters lid. so the feeder dumps into the top of the filter and then the food is swept underwater into the tank.

in the past i have rigged setups teeing off of my return line where the water flow is diverted over a tray and then allowed to fall down to the surface of the tank water. The flakes are dumped on the tray and then swept underwater by the falling water.

Archived