ReefCleaners.org

Sand algae?

Fluffeh

Hi, i've noticed that on the sandbed of my tank a lot of stuff has accumulated. it started off as a brownish color and now i noticed that some of it is actually turning into hair algae (it looks brown/green). anyone know how i can help control this? the color of the sand is a bit overwhelming. i wish it was white like before.

thanks

i'm assuming new tank? if so, you're going through diatoms which is a normal (and decent sign) of a cycled tank. you can vacuum it up with your water changes, or it's time to get your crabs/nassarius snails in there. fighting conches will eat diatoms as well.

if it's a snotty looking "hair algae" then you've got cyano. nitrates and phosphates feed it, as does low flow as stated above.

it just looks like green hair algae growing ontop of the brown stuff on the sand (not 'snotty', just looks dirty). how would u suck it up ? wouldn't u just suck up the sand with it? its just sitting on top of the sand and i never stir my sand up, should i try that also? how should i set my flow w/o having my sand flying around my tank?

my tank is 4.5 months old

it just looks like green hair algae growing ontop of the brown stuff on the sand (not 'snotty', just looks dirty). how would u suck it up ? wouldn't u just suck up the sand with it? its just sitting on top of the sand and i never stir my sand up, should i try that also? how should i set my flow w/o having my sand flying around my tank?

my tank is 4.5 months old

if you can grab it, just grab it. otherwise, put a air hose, create a syphon like you would doing a water change, and put it above the algae. it will bring up a little bit of sand, but you won't lose a lot, and it will look a lot nicer.

the flow is tough in the little tanks. i don't quite honestly know how people have hk's facing downwards in these tanks. i've got a maxijet 1200 on my left back, facing towards the right front and i still have sand kicked up a little.

Archived