Pod Your Reef

How much for glass?

Squared

I was wondering if anybody knows of a good place in LA to get some nice glass cut, am looking to make a 10" cube aquarium. Anyone know how much it would cost buy the glass and get it cut?

Bandera Glass & Mirrors at

5526 Bandera St

Los Angeles, CA 90058

I got my baffles from here. They do mostly windows and mirrors but they do glass cutting also. They can also order starphire glass if you want to go that route. As for as for putting the tank together I don't know if they have the right silicone for it. and as far as beveling the edges right I don't think they can do that also but for cut panes of glass they are pretty good lol

It really depends on the options you go with. Standard glass (not the low-iron kind) is cheap, but having it beveled and polished adds up fast. I spent $50 to have 3/16" pieces cut for my sump and overflow. It would have been tripple for polish/bevel.

Unless your buying glass in bulk, to build a bunch of tanks, it will always be cheaper to just buy a tank. If you go and price glass to build a 55g per say, and compare that to the price of an already built tank, you will always pay less for the prebuilt tank, (unless you have connections). With that being said, I work for a glass distributing company and the markup on glass is crazy high. I couldn't believe it at first, but I remembered building my first sump and how much it costed me, and looking at how much we were selling the same glass for. You would probably be cheaper just to buy a 10" cube already built, might not be as much fun, but a LOT cheaper.

I was wondering if could make a tank for under 30...but I guess not. Maybe I'll de rim a 2.5? Can someone give me a link as to how to do that?

Archived