Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

So whats the big deal w/ the MP10'S

jkaese

Ok so in a couple weeks Iam getting my LED 28 nano cube, and was going to get just a regular powerhead by kolina or whatever it's called but Iam hearing alot about these MP10's powerheads why are tthey so much more expensive, is it because they dont need to be directional meaning a regular powerhead you only can use in certain areas where as the MP10 can be in one spot and circulate your entile tank???? Enlighten me on this, thanks

Pretty much the mp10 can be placed in one spot and provide the entire tank with random flow depending on the setting you have it in. I would suggest reading through the owners manual on the ecotech website to see all the options and settings it can do. It's expensive and not necessary by any means but it is a neat little pump that can be used in a lot of different ways.

One came with my newest setup that I purchased. I LOVE it. Highly recommend getting one. My torch looked better within hours of putting it in there.

For what it is worth, they seem cool and worth the price, I don't have one, but am planning to get one.

BUT...

I don't see why they get scooped up in seconds whenever someone is selling them for $30 less than the brand new price.

the ecotech battery backup is extremely overpriced for what it is. I use a 3500mah 4s lithium ion pack and it lasts a couple days, total cost 20 bucks. for the $150 or whatever they charge you can get a car battery that would run the pump for probably a couple weeks.

I don't see why they get scooped up in seconds whenever someone is selling them for $30 less than the brand new price.

Some people will do anything to save a few bucks. Glad to know that if I ever need to sell mine I can get most of my money back buuuut I don't see me selling mine, ever.

Some people will do anything to save a few bucks. Glad to know that if I ever need to sell mine I can get most of my money back buuuut I don't see me selling mine, ever.

Why wouldn't you sell it after a year or so? Cost you $30 to get a brand new one and keep yourself insured against failures.

I gave in and bought one as well. I really like the pump. I am still using a Tunze nano in my tank as well but I would really like to just use the MP10ES. I am having an unknown heat issue in my tank right now so I may yank the Tunze to start troubleshooting. The nice thing about the MP10ES is that the heat primarily stays outside the tank. Plus you can turn it on and off from the controller. I agree with you that I would rather pay the extra $30 to get a new one with a warranty than overpay on here!

Why wouldn't you sell it after a year or so? Cost you $30 to get a brand new one and keep yourself insured against failures.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Interesting to see if the resale value stays that high a year from now. They're not hard to get, new or used so well see how the used demand and supply are in a year or so.

just get one... trust us

+1, then the 2 weeks you first get it you won't stop playing with all the modes and intensities. what i think is really cool is watching the undertow it creates. its cool to see some coral up top blowing away from the pump then coral on the bottom sway in the other direction towards the pump. i love the controllability and my pump is very quiet and produces no noticeable noise unless it was jarred off alignment. my lps polyp extension has been great and i pump it up to help loosen detritus before i change water.

MP10s cure impotence, cancer, and wipe your butt (amongst a long list of other things). Until you get one, you really won't understand how incredible these pumps are.

I'm about to get a 2nd one to replace my koralia's on my nanocube.

I mean I've got mine on a 10 gal at like 20%.. I just like the flexibility in terms of future proofing my set up for a modest upgrade

anybody tell me the noise difference between an mp10 at say between 20% - 40% and a Koralia Nano 900/1600?

While I can't compare the two, I sleep with my head about 6 inches from my tank and I can't even tell it's going. Any ambient noise whether it be a fan, wind outside or anything at all completely drown it out. Maybe I have a super stealth , but the only time I notice the noise is if it's off alignment.

While I can't compare the two, I sleep with my head about 6 inches from my tank and I can't even tell it's going. Any ambient noise whether it be a fan, wind outside or anything at all completely drown it out. Maybe I have a super stealth , but the only time I notice the noise is if it's off alignment.

Thanks, for me personally price isn't an issue but noise is as it'll be around 6" again from my head where I watch TV. I find the Koralia Nano's much quieter than the Tunze 6025s but had heard stories the mp10s were in turn noisier than the 6025s. Plenty to ponder.

My MP10 makes a noticeable hum when it gets up over 70ish%. Nothing "loud" by any means, but I can hear it. I don't notice it if the TV is on or windows are open.

Be careful w/ placement though. This thing WILL kill stuff.

+1 i've noticed that with my scape and coral placement the flow directly in front of it is too harsh for most..i just moved it up for more surface agitation and the flow goes straight across instead of crashing into the first rock.

The other selling point, is the small foot print that is inside the tank. So the unit has what is called the wet side that is placed in the tank, and the other half ( dry side), with the electric cord, is placed on the outside.

For me, when deciding on new vs used, I consider the difference and determine if new is worth the premium considering the warrenty, etc.

On my 2 MP40s, I had received a good deal and bought them used. On the MP10 for my nano, I too, saw little difference in price between new and used, so I received a good deal from a vendor on a new one.

Good luck,

- Larry

Archived