inTank Media Baskets

Hair algae update . .

darwin604

Just an update on my hair algae problems. In the last month or so I've swapped in 6 blue leg hermits and an emerald crab. Hair algae seems to be on the decline but not at a great rate.

My questions are: which of these inverts is most likely a better hair algae eater, and would it be a good idea to get more hermits or another emerald crab? (my emerald is fairly small . . but if they grow quick - which I dont know either) maybe I'll just leave things how they are and give it a bit more time.

d.

Question 1 - Of those two choices hermit crabs are better algae grazers.

Question 2 - Stop buying invertibrates. You are only further supporting a viscious cycle.

Viscious Cycle Defined:

1) New tank and unwanted algae grows.

2) Buy invertibrates to eat algae.

3) Algae goes away.

4) Buy corals and fish.

5) Algae comes back.

6) Buy more invertibrates to clean algae.

7) Algae looks like it's subsiding.

8) Buy more invertibrates to clean algae.

9) Algae explosion. You get frustrated not understanding what you are doing wrong. You are ####ed you spent more money on crabs. You light your tank on fire and dance on it's ashes.

Solution-

Slow down. Stop buying stuff. Evaluate what food and chemicals you are putting into your tank. Evaluate your filtration techniques. Stop feeding your tank like you are and scale it down to a third of what you are used too. Whatever your filtration is......start doing water changes every week.

Try this and your problem should resolve in 3 months.

Acoustic:

Thanks for the extensive response. I see what you mean, I think I'm going to step up my water changes a bit since I've already cut back on feeding by a lot. All corals and inhabitants are doing very well, just the algae thats being a bit of a pain . . I'm running some phosphate media now too. No skimming or fuge on my tank so I guess more w/c should probably help.

d.

Archived