SaltCritters.com

clowns in nanocube

nanocurious

I am a nnob when it comes to all of this, but I have a friend who has a very well established tank that I check out all the time. He had a clown and introduced an anenome on 2 different occasions. The anenome seemed to do great until the clown decided to host in it. The clown appeared to rub it to death. The anenome never fully extended and that clown just pummeled the anenome into submission. In some of his other tanks where there are no clowns, his anenomes flourish.

Now, I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but it certainly has discouraged me from eventually getting an anenome once I become more knowledgeable and tank is more established.

harleywilson

Clownfish can and do harass not only anenomes but also coral. It just depends on the individual clownfish and the individual anenome or coral. Tank bred Ocellaris's tend to be the least likely to host, but this is a generalization rather than a rule. My two ocellaris's do not seem to be interested in hosting in any of my corals. They like to sit at the top of the tank, play in the output from the powerheads and wait for their daily food. They're a couple of pigs. My kids made me buy them because of Nemo but they are neat fish.

Archived