Pod Your Reef

Fish need it going LED?

Daleo

i see the same 120w (119 1 watt leds) led pendants that have been spewing from china for the last 2 years. yes there cheap, yes they work really well, no they dont use cree's. at 23" generally there in the low 100 par range. good deals for the money. you can get the boost led for $399, the reefkoi evolution for $329, or you can go direct and get them for under $275 if you can get 4 buddies to buy them to.

New_model_120w_led_aquarium_equipment_best.jpg

Supposedly the "Evolution" brand (or, re-brand) of those lights are using Bridgelux 1 watt LEDS.

If that's the case, they should be a reasonable quality.

An LFS sponsor of our local aquarium forum carries these and he swears by them.

I'll stick to my DIY stuff, but for someone looking for a pretty good light for a mixed tank, and willing to take a mild risk, this could be a good unit.

As long as the LEDs or drivers don't kill over on this, it should last for years.

nope. lol! I am now though... I just figured if they were going to start a new product, most of the info would be released to the public whenever they wanted to make it available.

they seem very secretive so far, but they returned my e-mail and said,

"Hi:

I don't have much information at this time,but I can tell you we use two 20W LEDS , nine 3w leds and three 1w led for it,and we will make a video later when we receive the new fixture(maybe in March 20),and we been test it for more than a year ,and the price that will sale for the first time will be about $350 or less,this fixture can good for 30" deep.thank you.

regard

simon"

Supposedly the "Evolution" brand (or, re-brand) of those lights are using Bridgelux 1 watt LEDS.

If that's the case, they should be a reasonable quality.

This really doesn't mean much. Bridgelux doesn't actually make small LEDs. They only produce their larger multi die LEDs. They do supply the dies to other manufacturers to produce the fully packaged LED though, but the quality of the LED is dependant on the phosphor used, the application of said phosphor, the thermal design of the package, and the overall quality of the package and primary lens. Screw all of that up, and you still have a crap LED, regardless of how good the die is. It's like putting a blown big block in a Civic with the stock radiator, fuel pump and a restrictor plate. The engine has a ton of potential, but held back by the support components. I'm not saying that the LEDs used there are particularly bad, but just because they use Bridgelux dies doesn't guarantee that it's high quality.

Archived