SaltCritters.com

bad idea?

SpainKenya

Ok so i built myself a 10g sump to go with my 10g nano reef, I have a chamber for LR, and am using an old AC pump for a chemi-pure bag. next to that chamber is a spot for a skimmer which i will prob add eventualy but not sure what one i want yet etc. The chamber next to that i made a bubble trap to minimize micro bubbles going to the pump for the return to the tank. Ok now here lies my question. I dont really have a good spot to put filter floss in the tank, other than in with the chemi-pure bag, which i do have a bit in there. I bought a big bag of filter floss (not a pad) and i jammed a bunch in the first chamber of bubble trap going the full width of the tank. This seems like it would work and all the water of the tank would pass through a significant amount of the floss. Its easy to change out this way, but i havent read anything about people doing this. Just currious is this a bad idea?

pheonixsoul25

Cant see your set up but as long as you keep the floss changed and don't let it build up it sounds like it would work to me. But some pics would be nice.

Cant see your set up but as long as you keep the floss changed and don't let it build up it sounds like it would work to me. But some pics would be nice.

Im currently out of town but ill get a pic up in the next day or so, prob make it easier than trying to explain what i have done. thx for the response

-PS pre warning that my custom sump doesnt look verry nice but its been working so no making fun!! :D

also, it might restrict some flow but i too dont see it causing a prob with how you described.

Im not worried about restricting flow because the water level is roughly the same height on both sides of the bubble trap so the chamber with the return pump maintains the same level of water no matter what. Im more worried about pieces of floss getting sucked through and clogging up my return pump.

Im currently out of town but ill get a pic up in the next day or so, prob make it easier than trying to explain what i have done. thx for the response

-PS pre warning that my custom sump doesnt look verry nice but its been working so no making fun!! :D

Im not worried about restricting flow because the water level is roughly the same height on both sides of the bubble trap so the chamber with the return pump maintains the same level of water no matter what. Im more worried about pieces of floss getting sucked through and clogging up my return pump.

i wouldnt worry too much about the filter floss hurting your pump, i used a similar setup in my FW sumps (i think, going from what you described, again pics would help) and I never had an issue with that. the only consideration I would have (a problem i ran into) is that relatively new filter floss works like a charm but as it clogs a bit it may channel water to one side or a corner where its not really being filtered much (or at all). a dedicated chamber can help avoid this. i can recommend a few low tech ideas to help with this once you put up some pics and i have an idea of what kind of room you have.

i wouldnt worry too much about the filter floss hurting your pump, i used a similar setup in my FW sumps (i think, going from what you described, again pics would help) and I never had an issue with that. the only consideration I would have (a problem i ran into) is that relatively new filter floss works like a charm but as it clogs a bit it may channel water to one side or a corner where its not really being filtered much (or at all). a dedicated chamber can help avoid this. i can recommend a few low tech ideas to help with this once you put up some pics and i have an idea of what kind of room you have.

cool thanks for the heads up, any suggestion on how often i should change the floss out? I have a giant bag of it so i dont need to be frugal about using it (only cost like 10 bucks) and ill have some pics up of what im working with tomorow evening sometime.

Archived