inTank Media Baskets

Atomic's 28g JBJ Nanocube

Atomic081

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to put the new clownfish in the main tank. Ive learned that a 2.5g is to small for a QT and basically shouldnt use anything less than 10g. I think it stressed him out and he started to act really wierd. He even stopped using one fin, just kept swimming in circles. With the advice of a few friends i put him in the Nanocube. I know its before the Cuc, but i didnt wana stress him out even more and possibly lose him. The Cuc comes on Wed and ill be doing another major water change then.

The new clown is doing great now. I had a bit of a scare last night with him. He is doing so well in fact that I bought him a new girlfriend today. Ill post pictures of the 2 soon.

Its so hard to get good pictures with a phone, but here is the best I could get.

2011-03-15_22-12-07_821.jpg

2011-03-15_22-11-49_665.jpg

A Video: Click on the picture.

th_2011-03-15_22-14-08_329.jpg

CUC gets here tomorrow!!!

Big day for the tank. CUC was added, ATO is being installed, and my RO system is being setup in the new house. Ill post pictures tonight!!

Everything is going very smooth so far. I had to set up the chiller with the MH HQIs. Temps were getting in the high 80s at night. Now that the chiller is running, it stays at a nice 78deg. The clownfish wouldnt last long without the chiller. LEDs should be here in 2 weeks and then I can sell the chiller.

2011-03-16_21-09-34_861.jpg

The CUC came today. Reefcleaners.org is amazing. I should have a spotless tank within a few days.

2011-03-16_19-51-59_597.jpg

2011-03-16_19-51-23_538.jpg

2011-03-16_19-50-58_54.jpg

2011-03-16_19-51-15_484.jpg

The Snowflake Clowns are doing great. The new one ate today for the first time. It is trying to prove its dominance toward the smaller one. Hopefully they will pair up soon.

2011-03-16_21-04-22_663.jpg

2011-03-16_21-04-38_824.jpg

2011-03-16_21-05-18_164.jpg

2011-03-16_21-05-30_320.jpg

2011-03-16_21-05-58_241.jpg

2011-03-16_21-06-45_878.jpg

I installed my RODI system in my laundry room. Ive got it setup on a float so it stops once a 5g bucket is full. Its a pretty slick system.

2011-03-16_19-49-46_866.jpg

I also got my ATO setup. No more topping off for me :) The Reefkeeper keeps the ATO under control. I used a 1" 90deg pvc fitting to put around the float so nothing can get up under the float and cause it to get stuck on. I then glued the 90 to a mag frag and am using the magnet to set the float height. I then cut a secondary hole for airflow.

2011-03-16_20-21-55_991.jpg

2011-03-16_20-22-05_691.jpg

2011-03-16_20-22-21_734.jpg

2011-03-16_20-22-42_911.jpg

I did a 5g water change today. Im not sold yet on the "all Snail" Cuc. After 48 hours i dont see a whole lot of damage done on the hair algae. Ill give them a week before i make my final verdict.

Im also going to need to rework my float valve. Its not working like i want it too.

I ordered some Corals from MrCoral.com. Ive been to his store in person and ordered from him via shipping and have always had positive results.

My Coral List so Far.

Tyree Setosa

Flamethrower Chalice

BLUE FIRE CORAL

SHE'S OUT OF MY LEAGUE ACAN

4 other unknown Acans in a Acan package.

Im going to keep looking at his $10 corals over the next few weeks and keep ordering 4 at a time until i get to the $125 free shipping.

AFRobert568

Looks good, I remember reading your thread and I could relate with your story about having to replace products for quality items. I can recall many times I thought I was saving a buck buying an item only to have it break or underperform. I now get the right item first, so I don’t have to buy it later. This saves me money in the long run.

Nice RKL set up. Mine looks like a fire hazard with all the cords. Did you loop the cords in the back of the stand? It looks clean in there.

Looks good, I remember reading your thread and I could relate with your story about having to replace products for quality items. I can recall many times I thought I was saving a buck buying an item only to have it break or underperform. I now get the right item first, so I don’t have to buy it later. This saves me money in the long run.

Nice RKL set up. Mine looks like a fire hazard with all the cords. Did you loop the cords in the back of the stand? It looks clean in there.

Thanks!!!

I did loop everything behind the tank. The RKL really makes things look clean. Its almost worth the money for just this one reason!!

I saw a post about the cost of owning a tank so I thought i would post how much $$$$ ive spent so far. Its pretty high considering I have almost used up all my money i got from selling my 90g.

• $300 - Tank, Stand, Chiller, AquaC remora (all used)
  • $140 - 2 Maxijet 1200, 2 Hydor Flow, Korilla Nano, 40lb Black Sand
  • $150 - Media Basket, Fuge Light, 2 part,
  • $180 - Reef Keeper Light with SL1
  • $30 - ATO system
  • $420 - Nanocustom 4.6 LED light upgrade (coming soon)
  • $120 - Pair of Snowflake Clowns
  • $40 - CUC
  • $125 - MrCoral.com (coming soon)

$1505 total OUCH!!!!

Edit: Ive used up ALL the money i got from my 90 and more!!!!

Its been over a week and ive not seen any difference in my Hair algae. Nitrates are 0 but that might be cause of all the hair algae. I got new filters for my RO system and im going to do a water change tonight. I also got 2 turbo snails to help with the existing hair algae. Ill post picture in a few days of their progress.

I just finished my MrCoral.com order. It is set to ship out on Tuesday. I can still add on to it until monday evening. The List ended up like this:

• Tyree Setosa
  • Flamethrower Chalice
  • Blue Fire Coral
  • She' out of my league Acan
  • Misc Acan 1
  • Misc Acan 2
  • Misc Acan 3
  • Misc Acan 4
  • SpiderMan Zoas
  • Funky Cold Medina Blasto
  • Freak Show Acro
  • Encrusting Monti
  • Kentucky Blue Acro
  • Hollywood Stunner Chalice
  • Mummy Eye Chalice
  • Symphylia Wilsoni

Im still not sure when my LEDs are coming in, so im going to keep all the corals on a frag rack until I get the new lighting. I intend to slowly raise the corals to the top part of the tank using a frag rack.

Ive gone a little crazy with the MrCoral.com 10 dollar frags. They are such a good deal compared to the local frags and most of these frags are things that ill never get local. Im going to sell a few of them to a buddy and keep rest. My shipment comes in on Wednesday.

• Supersonic Acan
  • Bright Green Ricordia
  • LA Lakers Monti
  • Hulk Acan
  • Spiderman Acan
  • Superman Chalice
  • Blue Hornet Zoas
  • Superman Monti
  • Blue Death Zoas
  • Aussie Blue Zoas
  • Green People Eater Zoas
  • Tic Tac Zoas
  • 4th of July Chalice

Im also turning the lights off of my tank for 3 days to let the hair algae get under control. I think 3 days without light and the addition of the 2 turbo snails will really do a number on them. My skimmer is still pulling out a ton is gunk and parameters are looking great!!

johnmaloney

so the ro stops once your reserve well is full and the entire thing is automated? i didnt know you can have an ro/di work like that. How does the float turn the ro/di off? for my unit you would have to turn off the valve that brings water to the unit

so the ro stops once your reserve well is full and the entire thing is automated? i didnt know you can have an ro/di work like that. How does the float turn the ro/di off? for my unit you would have to turn off the valve that brings water to the unit

I have a float valve that is connected to the final output of the RODI system. It just keeps the reserve from overflowing all over the floor. It doesnt turn off the whole RODI system as a whole. I think the only way to do this might be to somehow connect the float valve to the incoming feed line.

How's the clean up crew doing on that GHA?

Not great. I can definitively see improvement, but there is still a lot of work for them to do. Im going to do the 10g water change and some manual removal today to see if that helps.

I think alot of it has to do with the bulbs on the MHs. They came with the tank when i bought it and they guy said he used them for a little over a year.

Attempt #2 with the ATO has been a success!!! 24 hours and water levels are staying perfect.

After 1 water change and some manual removal, the GHA is looking a ton better today. Im still going to do another 5g water change.

I also moved the tank from the corner of my office to a side wall. I flip flopped my bird cage and the tank since the birdcage was overpowering the tank. It was just a decorating move, but it lets me get a much better view of the tank as a whole.

my small clown died tonight. I found it stuck on the overflow. He always had trouble swimming in high current but i thought it was because it was small. He was never as active or ate as well as the other fish. I dont know what happened. The picture i took in the post above was 3 hours before i found him dead.

Now that I am down to 1 clown, i am not sure if i should get another one. I dont really feel like 1 clown fish compared to 2 make that big of a difference in a tank. If i do get another one then should a get another snowflake clown and hope they breed? I have thought about getting a B&W so that it adds another look to the tank.

Im still set on getting a Blue spot jawfish, a flame angel, a manderine goby, and 1 or 2 clownfish. I could replace the clownfish with another fish. Any suggestions?

BTA the GHA is almost gone!!!!

Archived