Cultivated Reef

jbj 2x55W in a canopy?

M.N88

I found a place by me that sells these fixtures for cheap. I originally planned on mounting it onto my canopy; though i just checked with their site and theres a warning against it. It sais due to lack of circulation, it may ruin the lights.

Anyway my question is; is it safe to use them in my canopy, with 2 fans already running inside? (plus the ones installed to the fixture). Has anyone done so, or is it better to just take the jbj all apart and "DIY" it onto my hood?

• 2 weeks later...

I would say if they say don't do it then don't do it. I will tell you though that I had a bunch of extra 48" JBJ sitting around not being used so I cut them up and made hoods for a couple of tanks and they are working great. I mounted the ballest, Cut and used the reflectors, used the clips, etc. The only thing I didnt use was the power switch (mine are wired into a timer) and the original housing. Good luck. Sorry to post so late but I have been working my butt off. If this doesn't help you maybe it will help someone else.

Archived