inTank Media Baskets

First Nano Reef Looking For Feedback

Sloopydrew

Here is my first crack at reef tanks and I was looking for some feedback from all of you experts here on nano-reef. My reef has been running for 5 months now and seems to be very healthy. My tank specs are as follows and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Stock JBJ Nano Cube

1 Yellow striped Maroon clown fish

1 Yellow tail Damsel

1 emerald crab

Full cleaner crew (turbo snails and hermits)

1 Bubble tip anemone (Has doubled in size since introduction)

Multiple mushroom colonies

Star polyps

Feather duster

Mixed Zoo's

Red Sea Xenia

Rock anemone

Branching leather frag

I do water changes every two weeks with distilled water and Instant Ocean religiously. I do monthly dosing with Reef complete and Reef carbonate as I cannot locate a good alkalinity testing kit as of yet. I do do a very light dosing of both my calcium and alk as to be sure I am not overdosing. I feed the fish every two days and feed my anemone once a month. I am unsure how my anemone has grown so large and is so healthy as I have seen the horror stories of other anemones in captivity.

Comments welcome and I appreciate your feedback.

Drew

The tank looks great and everything looks healthy. My only concern is the BTA out growing the tank. I have a BTA in my 75 thats huge. The BTA's are easier to keep then most anemones becuase they dont need such high light, but they can still be tricky.

I second Dutch's post...that BTA is going to overtake that tank in no time. Don't get too attached to it because it's going to need a new home.

The only thing I see as being a problem is that you are using Distilled water. Distilled water is often times done with copper tubing and can be a source of copper in a reef tank which is lethal to inverts.

hey great looking tank!!!

i twinked the lighting with a smart-lite kit for an additional 32watts from liveaquaria.com (shamelss plug for some great customer service).

currently i have live sand and rock with:

sailfin mollies (keeping for food production and out of guilt from the cycle)

coral banded shrimp (possibly getting moved for coral and anemone harrassment)

a yellow colony polyp

a condy

things are going well and i am trying to find some good small coral additions at a reasonable price.

any recomendations for the atlanta georgia area? anyone want to sell off some chunks?

Archived