Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

placing macro algae in fuge

reefjunky

Originally posted by reefjunky

just got a fuge and i got more caulerpa then my fuge can hold today.do i just put a little in and throw the rest out or what?

how do i place it?

There's always people out there willing to pay for shipping for a clump of free macro.

Try posting it in the trading post or selling forum.

Mike

Originally posted by xxaquanutxx

Yeah Ill pay shipping for some :).. shoot ill pay shipping for quit a bit.. not only does my nano need a fuge, but so does my 90gallon :)

See!

Mike

Ulva and gracillius algaes love to be eaten by herbivores, like tangs. Your crabs will also graze them if you introduce them to the main tank.

I'd suggest adding about a 12" length of caulerpa to your tank/refugium and keep it pruned back to 12" long each week, by snipping the side rhyzomes they'll create. Too much caulerpa, and the colonies might go sexual on you. This is toxic to a reef and all of the caulerpa will die after the spawning.

To prevent caulerpas from doing this, simply prune them way back. The goal is to have rapidly growing algaes that you can constantly prune to get the nitrate out of your tank. My favorite caulerpa so far is Caulerpa prolifera. It grows like mad!

Archived