Top Shelf Aquatics

Hagen Aquaclear or Aqueon Quietflow Filter?

cital

I am going to set up a small nano and plan to run a power filter. I think I will go with the Hagen, but wanted to get feedback first. I have also heard good things about the Aqueon Quietflow filter, just wanted to see if anyone has an opinion? Thanks!

I've had multiple hagen aquaclears ( models 30,50 and 70) They were great, except the propeller in the aquaclear was a little loud, but I think the one i got was defective because i have a friend who also has one and his is dead silent. I like the amount of room there is in the aquaclear filters. I have an aqueon filter on my freshwater planted tank. It has a very quiet hum to it, but you can barely hear it. The flow isnt that great. I have the smallest model aqueon on the tank now and compared to an aquaclear 20, the 20 had a bit more flow.

the aqueon does not have a three step filtration, only a pad filled with carbon.

overall, i like the aquaclears A LOT more. You can always mod it and make it a little refugium if you wanted.

I've had multiple hagen aquaclears ( models 30,50 and 70) They were great, except the propeller in the aquaclear was a little loud, but I think the one i got was defective because i have a friend who also has one and his is dead silent. I like the amount of room there is in the aquaclear filters. I have an aqueon filter on my freshwater planted tank. It has a very quiet hum to it, but you can barely hear it. The flow isnt that great. I have the smallest model aqueon on the tank now and compared to an aquaclear 20, the 20 had a bit more flow.

the aqueon does not have a three step filtration, only a pad filled with carbon.

overall, i like the aquaclears A LOT more. You can always mod it and make it a little refugium if you wanted.

On the Aquaclear, can I just remove the filter media and use Chemipure and/or Purigen instead?

YUP!

that's what i did. what model are you thinking about getting??

and i forgot to add, you can adjust the flow with aquaclears and you cant with aqueons

Yes, the aqueon has a dry grid which is a controversial filtering technique for reefs. Important to realize is wet dry filtration does not just pull nitrates out of nowhere. If there weren't ammonia or nitrite to begin with, there would be no nitrates. So without the wet/dry filtration there would be ammonia and nitrite passing in finer form to be left up to filtration later on which = buildup. I run a bio wheel right now, my nitrates have never gone beyond 10 ppm. I also have plenty of sand though and perform slight weekly water changes. My coralife 65 does a good job too so there is plenty of filtration.

YUP!

that's what i did. what model are you thinking about getting??

and i forgot to add, you can adjust the flow with aquaclears and you cant with aqueons

I would probably go with the 50 (200 gph) I would use it on a Mr. Aqua 17 gal rimless tank (24x12x14.4) Do you think that would be the right size filter?

is money an issue?

I have an ada 60P which is just about the same size. I have a Koralia two with a sump. I dont think an AC 50 would be enough unless you have a powerhead.

I would go with the 70 though. a few bucks more for a much bigger filter and more room to put a heater in the back and stuff

is money an issue?

I have an ada 60P which is just about the same size. I have a Koralia two with a sump. I dont think an AC 50 would be enough unless you have a powerhead.

I would go with the 70 though. a few bucks more for a much bigger filter and more room to put a heater in the back and stuff

So on the 70 I could fit a heater in the filter? And you don't think I would need a powerhead in the tank? That would be the way to go!

youll get lots of dead spots without a powerhead.

it also depends on what type of heater. size differs between different brands and models

youll get lots of dead spots without a powerhead.

it also depends on what type of heater. size differs between different brands and models

Is there a brand/size that you know would work? I have always used Jager heaters, would probably go with a 100w for this set up, could maybe be ok with 75w though.

Archived