Top Shelf Aquatics

Using B-Ionic to raise Calcium levels

GobyMan

Well I just got my new Salifert test kits and did some measuring. Nitrate - O ppm, Alk 8.0 dKH, Calcium 350. I had been getting measurements of 415 on my Aquarium Systems Calcium test.

Last tested calcium about a week ago which was before I added my 4 new SPS frags. Last water change (1 gallon) was one week ago.

Question is this...recommended dose for B-Ionic (which I just got today) is 1 ml for my tank volume. Would I need to add more to raise the calcium to the 450 range or is this done gradually with daily addtions. I am thinking the 1 ml is more of a daily maintenance thing and maybe I should be adding more to boost it up to the range I want.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

sorry, i don't know the answer to your question, i just saw that you have a 5.5gal w/ 2x55w PCs....do you have any pics?? I'm trying to figure out how i will get as many watts as possible over my tank which i'll be setting up in a week or 2

thanks,

m

I wouldn't overdose with a small tank. Also, check your alkalinity before adding more than a mil at a time. Dosing 1 mil of Ca should get you up into the 400+ range quickly enough though.

Lunchbucket

add the recommended dose...wait a day test, then if it isn't up to where you want. add a touch more. then test...then add, test...etc.

it is best to do it gradually.

just be aware you could be adding a little or a lot of that stuff. i know i was on the edge of the CRAZY scale w/ mine. i added 20ml/day in my 10gal!!!!!! guess my sps and coraline were sucking it up. kept my alk at 4.0meq/l and ca about 500ppm

Later

Lunchbucket

Thanks, I figured it was going to be a once a day testing thing...

Centrek, there a pictures posted on this board about two weeks ago. I will post some to the members reef forum when I get home from work..

Lunchbucket

i actually calculated my doeses!! i was dosing buffer 24/7 drip and adding daily liquid calcium. so i figured how much i was using /day and figured out how much bionic i needed to maintain that. used the ppm numbers on the bottles

Lunchbucket

From ESV's spec sheet on B-Ionic

Component #1 - Carbonate Alkalinity: 2800 meq/liter (7840 dKH). 1 ml per gallon of aquarium water will raise alkalinity by 0.74 meq/liter (2.07 dKH).

Component #2 - Calcium Concentration: 54,000 ppm calcium ion. 1 ml per gallon of aquarium water will raise calcium concentration by 16ppm.

That's just for a one shot "bump." You are correct that the 1ml/4gal recommended dose thing is for maintaining levels day to day (the spec sheet says you may need to go several times this number depending on your system demand).

This question was asked a few weeks ago at the reefcentral.com chemistry forum. Randy (the guru) says you can do calcium all in one shot if you want. Maybe so, but I live by the reefkeepers creed: Slow is good, Only bad things happen quickly.

Ty

bump that Tybor said.

U can increase doses as needed over the course of a week as your systems need increases. BEWARE OF OVERDOSING you can have a snow effect if U O.D. Also depending on what kind of salt mix u use will affect the usefullness of ESV products (as I have found). With cheep salts, it can cause alk problems.:(

Archived