Coral Vue Hydros

Is this a good price for a rimless tank?

Neto

I got 2 quotes from my local shop for a 25x25x10 tank with 1/4" glass. One is with low iron glass and the other is with regular glass.

here it is

1/4" clear glass p/e

25" x 25" - $26.99 plus tax

25" x 9.75" - $11.50 each plus tax

24.5" x 9.75" - $11.50 each plus tax

1" hole = $6 each plus tax

Tank Total: $85 + tax

1/4" low iron glass p/e

25" x 9.75" - $18.50 each plus tax

24.5" x 9.75" - $18.50 each plus tax

Tank Total: $113 + tax

Do you think its a good price? I think I will go with low iron.

Low iron glass is clearer and doesn't have that green effect when you look at it from the side.

To the OP, that seems too good to be true, but I am not glass expert.

so basically your tank will be 25L x 25Wx 9.75 H ? With that size, the tank will be roughly 27 gallons.

The L and H look good for 1/4 but 25" W might be pushing the limits of 1/4" being rimless.

Just spend the extra bucks and go 3/8" it is easier to work with. Know how big of a PIA it is getting1/4" to stay flush or get a decent bead of silicon on ? Ive done both in the past and 3/8 is much easier.

A falling rock or even a hard bump could really ruin your day.

3/8" would be one sturdy tank, there is a size betwee 1/4 and 3/8 I beleive that would probably do you fine also. I am not a super big glass expert as I only use 1/4 or 3/8 when I do build stuff so I dont know what that size is.

so basically your tank will be 25L x 25Wx 9.75 H ? With that size, the tank will be roughly 27 gallons.

The L and H look good for 1/4 but 25" W might be pushing the limits of 1/4" being rimless.

Just spend the extra bucks and go 3/8" it is easier to work with. Know how big of a PIA it is getting1/4" to stay flush or get a decent bead of silicon on ? Ive done both in the past and 3/8 is much easier.

A falling rock or even a hard bump could really ruin your day.

3/8" would be one sturdy tank, there is a size betwee 1/4 and 3/8 I beleive that would probably do you fine also. I am not a super big glass expert as I only use 1/4 or 3/8 when I do build stuff so I dont know what that size is.

well according to this site, a 25x25x10 with a 1/4" glass will be around 26 gallons, however, I will only keep around 9" of water inside so there will be 23.4 gallons of water in the tank.

Did you mean 3/4" ? 3/8" is actually less thicker than 1/4"

well according to this site, a 25x25x10 with a 1/4" glass will be around 26 gallons, however, I will only keep around 9" of water inside so there will be 23.4 gallons of water in the tank.

Did you mean 3/4" ? 3/8" is actually less thicker than 1/4"

sure about that? might want to get a ruler out and check.....

3/8 would be better. stronger and more piece of mind if you bump it with a rock or whatever.

and the low iron is also referred to starfire glass which is well worth the cost. i would get another quote with 3/8" glass and low iron. to save money try getting it with low iron on the front and 2 sides. done need it on the bottom or back, unless you are gonna view it from all 4 sides.

Basically your looking to pay about $12 linear foot for starfire 3/8" glass....Couple bucks more the the finished edges.

Should still be able to come in at around $100 which isnt bad for a nice custom tank.

sure about that? might want to get a ruler out and check.....

3/8 would be better. stronger and more piece of mind if you bump it with a rock or whatever.

and the low iron is also referred to starfire glass which is well worth the cost. i would get another quote with 3/8" glass and low iron. to save money try getting it with low iron on the front and 2 sides. done need it on the bottom or back, unless you are gonna view it from all 4 sides.

true, sorry i dk what I was thinking

Check this out. It may help with glass thickness Q: http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

Just add your tank dimensions .

thanks, I did check it out and it turns out that 1/4" will be ok.. but i might go with 3/8"

I will be doing a 24x24x9" tank

I just built the frame to find out that 2x4's are not actually 2 inches by 4 inches, they are 1.5 x 3.5

so my overall measurements of my frame is 24x24

dont use regular 2x4's that are for studding. they have crown on them, which means they bow to one side.

go to lowes and use knotless pine or ppopular and make your stand from that. might cost you more, but it is straight and strong. 2x4's are over kill for a small tank like yours. use the 1x2's or so. i did that for my 34g cube stand.

Archived