Top Shelf Aquatics

Metal Halide

Braxis

short answer: yes

long answer: yes they are. first of all, they dont cost that much cheaper to buy than other fixture. second, you have to change bulbs every 6-9 months. bulbs arent cheap. 3rd. T5HO can have the same output as MH with much less wattage, even more so with LED. 4th, they put out a lot of heat. you will need to spend money on chiller where other options like T5HO or LED run much cooler. they require a larger reflector so in some cases your hood will be bigger, fixture will have to be beefier to support the larger light.

short answer: yes

long answer: yes they are. first of all, they dont cost that much cheaper to buy than other fixture. second, you have to change bulbs every 6-9 months. bulbs arent cheap. 3rd. T5HO can have the same output as MH with much less wattage, even more so with LED. 4th, they put out a lot of heat. you will need to spend money on chiller where other options like T5HO or LED run much cooler. they require a larger reflector so in some cases your hood will be bigger, fixture will have to be beefier to support the larger light.

I live in northern California and the temps in my house rarely get above 55 on the hottest of days. The temp in not an issue. I was only thinking about it cause 25 bones is a good deal. I am looking in to the Oddysea 20 inch 4 bulb. The led upfront is out of my price range but that would be nice.

Define expensive.

True my expensive and some one else's are two different birds. For a one income house I would say $15 or more a month is to pricey for me

Just do 15 x 12 and it looks alot worse. Better off with LED or T-5

I went with the t5 option thanks guy s for the help. I got a 72watt 2 foot 4 bulb fixture :D

One of my fellow local reef club members posted the calculations. It's $172 per year for a 150W Metal Halide where I live. $10-$15 per month is a good estimate for most anywhere in the US. :)

One of my fellow local reef club members posted the calculations. It's $172 per year for a 150W Metal Halide where I live. $10-$15 per month is a good estimate for most anywhere in the US. :)

I live in BFE California so it is closer to the 15 mark I think.

I live in northern California and the temps in my house rarely get above 55 on the hottest of days. The temp in not an issue. I was only thinking about it cause 25 bones is a good deal. I am looking in to the Oddysea 20 inch 4 bulb. The led upfront is out of my price range but that would be nice.

lol what the hell you guys up in california just freeze inside your own house? 55 is ####ing cold man. get a heater.

lol what the hell you guys up in california just freeze inside your own house? 55 is ####ing cold man. get a heater.

lol I live in an old Victorian with no central air. We have a heater in the front room which will stay warm till the wind blows. Stupid heating bill was 200 last month :bling:

Hi I'm interested in the cost difference between HQI and led/t5 as well. I have a NC 28g hqi 150W. 10-15 bucks a month for HQI, how much would it be for LED or T5. I'm wondering how much of an actual energy saving per month is it.

10-15 bucks a month in electricity most likely, depending on how long you run the light of course.
Hi I'm interested in the cost difference between HQI and led/t5 as well. I have a NC 28g hqi 150W. 10-15 bucks a month for HQI, how much would it be for LED or T5. I'm wondering how much of an actual energy saving per month is it.

It depends. If your tank overheats due to the MH and you run a chiller, then the savings will be significant. At the other end of the spectrum, your heater will have to be ran more when you get rid of the MH. Just calculating the difference in kwh from the wattage of the lamps will give you a rough estimate, though.

Archived