Pod Your Reef

70w MH for 2.5g

seanb2

Would the 70w double ended bulb/fixture/ballast from hellolights work on a 2.5g tank?

I believe someone has done this before, but I am not sure.

Thanks,

Sean

When you say AGA is it a glass tank or acrylic?

Sorry, but I just got back from petsmart and I could only find mini bow's and things like that. All acrylic or plastic.

Thanks,

Sean

Very nice likemyrams.

I was wondering why everyone keeps saying AGA. I thought it stood for All Glass Aquarium.

I will have to pick up a mini bow and give it a shot. Will be nice to have somewhere to let teh frags from my 120g grow.

Thanks,

Sean

Reefer_Buddha
Originally posted by Gerard the fish

Yes, it has been done before.

In a Faces of Death video a man puts a rocket on top of his car and basically get shredded to pieces. Yes, i can do it because hey! "Its been done before!". That to me is not good advice. 2.5g tank w/ 70w halide over it...hmm..noone else sees this is being a big no no considering its 28w per gallon. All i can say is have fun with heat and evap. Probably boil anything in the tank as well.

I have to agree with Buddha on this one. It seems like everyone is getting halilde crazy these days. They decide to put MH over their tanks before they even give any consideration to what types of corals they are going to keep.

NEWSFLASH - A mushroom coral that lives in 60-80 feet of water will not be able to tolerate MH lighitng.

Think before you make the jump to MH, for your livestocks sake.

Gerard the fish

My 2.5 AGA as in All glass aquarium.

Yes, i can do it because hey! "Its been done before!". That to me is not good advice. 2.5g tank w/ 70w halide over it...hmm..noone else sees this is being a big no no considering its 28w per gallon. All i can say is have fun with heat and evap. Probably boil anything in the tank as well.

I didn't give advice I simply said has has been done... When using MH over your tank thier are many things to take into account... Open or closed hood or tank, ventilation in the room, ambient room tempature, etc.

NEWSFLASH - A mushroom coral that lives in 60-80 feet of water will not be able to tolerate MH lighitng.

Um says who? Although its true that most Ricordea and some Discosomatidae are found in mid-depth waters they are also found in shallow waters as well. Not to mention the fact that Amplexidiscus, Discosoma, and Rhodactis are found in quite large numbers in very shallow water and in huge colonies as far as Rhodactis is concerned.

Acclimation is the key to all long term health of corals IMO wether its in a 250 gallon system or a 2.5.

I appreciate everyones opinion.

I am curious to find out what people think.

I did not take Gerard the fish's statement that it has been done before as a "go for it" response.

I do realize there are some heat issues. I assume this would depend on how far above the tank the light is and if I use fans.

The person that tried this before was LiQuid I believe and he has not "melted" anything as of yet.

If I wanted to keep some Acro's or a clam I assume I would need this much light, right? BTW I have a 120g reef tank to move things nto as they get too big for this tank.

I really like LiQuid and sjediets tanks.

I am trying to figure out what might be the best setup so that I can attempt to do it right the first time.

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Sean

Originally posted by seanb2

If I wanted to keep some Acro's or a clam I assume I would need this much light, right?  

Correct. Your on the right path. (IMPO PCs just don't cut it, especially for clams and such, however I've seen it done). Lighten up though, you sounds like yer being interrogated:D

The only other issues I can think of is heat. Either suspend the bulb/pendant high enough above the water, that a fan can take care of it, or get/build one of those micro peltier chillers. Open systems work best, opposed to closed canopies. Anyways, it seems like you've already thought about this issue. So, good luck!

My only other advice (not very light related) is that 2.5's are very limiting in space. You might get better results with a 5 (specially since you want to keep clams and such.)

Thanks Von digity,

I currently have a 120g reef tank, and am cycling a 12g nano.

I am having a hard time justifying the 2.5g now. I really like small size, but the 12g nano cube is basically the same space as a 7g or maybe even the 2.5g. So I may just go with another nano cube. I can get a lot more in the 12g.

Thanks for the advice,

Sean

Archived