Coral Vue Hydros

? on water?

sefrayser

Ok so I bought a 55 gallon Olive barrel. I filled it with tap water and put about 1/2 of 1/2 gallon of vinegar in it. I let it set for a day. I dumped rinsed it and then filled it again and put th rest of the 1/2 gallon of vinegar in it. I let it set for another day. I had my wife put bleach in it to kill anything that may have been left over. I told her to put a couple Tbs in it and she put a 1/2 cup(8 Tbs). I dumped it and rinsed it out. Now I am a little worried about the bleach. Is there any way I can check to be sure the water is OK? I put about 8 gallons of Ro/Di water in it. How can I make sure its good?

I don't know what an olive barrel is... did it hold olives at some point? or is it just a plastic barrel?

I would rinse it with tap water a few times and you should be ok. If it doesn't smell like bleach, I think you're good to go. Or if you're really worried, just let is sit for a couple days, bleach will disapate after a while (even bleach sanitizeing solutions are suposed to be made every day because they lose their potency within 24hrs)... If you're really really worried, you could rinse it with water and a declorinating product (sold at any pet store).

Yes, its a 55 gallon barrel that held Queen Olives. Thats a bunch of olives. It didnt smell like bleach when I started filling it. I just didnt want the bleach to leech into the water.

You will be fine with a few rinses. And like someone said earlier, you could always dump a bottle of dechlorinator in there if you really are concerned. But I would just do the rinse a few times and call it good.

I have two 68 gallon olive barrels that i use for holding RODI water and mixed saltwater. Just make sure to rinse your barrels thoroughly. Mine had a fair amount of oily residue inside them and it took several washings and rinsings to finally get them clean. IMO you can never over clean one of those things in preparation for water storage. It's always better to be overly cautious than sorry down the road.

Archived