Cultivated Reef

What is this dark red algae?

CoopMD

What is this algae? How do I control it? I have a TON of CUC (emerald crag, lots of hermits, 4 types of snails), but none seem to like this one!!

It's like a carpet -- scraped away and it rolled off like a carpet ...

post-62529-1297996919_thumb.jpg

I'm a 100% sure it's cyanobacteria/cyano/red slime because of those air bubbles. Usually you get red slime because of high phosphate. If that thing is only on your rock I suggest you just remove the rock and scrub it out.

What kind of water you use?

I'm a 100% sure it's cyanobacteria/cyano/red slime because of those air bubbles. Usually you get red slime because of high phosphate. If that thing is only on your rock I suggest you just remove the rock and scrub it out.

What kind of water you use?

RO/DI water tested to 0 TDS.

This one rock is the only one that has the issue. It doesn't even spread to any others.

What's the remedy short of taking the rock out. It is sort of glued in there??

rather than changing up tank params just treat it as a hitchhiker any tank can get, this family of monerans can be airborne. removal and blast cleaning elsewhere as mentioned is #1. no spread particles around your tank...

second is taking a 1/2 or larger siphon tube, and cutting vacuum cleaner notches all around one end. use that as a dagger while siphoning to remove the growth, the slits allow mass water flow huge compared to a rounded edge that is sealing every time you push it against a rock.

you can thank rainbow vacs circa 1979 for that innovation mind you lol

I have something like this in my tank as well, and I really highly doubt its cyano- mostly because I had a cyano bloom last year so learned what that looks like, and usually have a small amount on the sandbed in front due to vodka dosing (which I recently stopped and replaced with a biopellet reactor).

The stuff I have on the rocks is REALLY dark red, and grows more like coralline algae. I'll try to get some pics and post them to support my claims.

This stuff grows in proximity to corals, in some very high flow area too, and no one seems to mind or care.

StarfishSlayer

dont need all the fancy words here, its red slime. one question, how old are you light bulbs. old lights will cause red slime to grow.

dont need all the fancy words here, its red slime. one question, how old are you light bulbs. old lights will cause red slime to grow.

New tank. 5 weeks old.

Its probably from detritus buildup or something died around that area. Possibly feeding on the stuff coming out of the rock since its pretty embedded. You can try just basting your rocks and a good cleanup crew can totally prevent this.

I have something like this in my tank as well, and I really highly doubt its cyano- mostly because I had a cyano bloom last year so learned what that looks like, and usually have a small amount on the sandbed in front due to vodka dosing (which I recently stopped and replaced with a biopellet reactor).

The stuff I have on the rocks is REALLY dark red, and grows more like coralline algae. I'll try to get some pics and post them to support my claims.

This stuff grows in proximity to corals, in some very high flow area too, and no one seems to mind or care.

I got lots of the red stuff in my 10 gallon AND cyano inb there. Yours sounds like lobophora or a sort of red coraline.... red stuff likes my tank... encrusting red stuff like coraline, lobophora, about 3 types of red macro, some is very pretty.

To the O.P.

In case of cyano, which I need to do if my sleeping patterns permit me to actually be alert enough, is to turkey baster or sypon the slag off your rocks. it is like a skin, so suck it up and toss it out.

Cyano for sure. First fix is to add some flow to the area. Second is to find out whats causing it. Phosphates? excess nutrients? Detritus? Flow should really make a big difference...

skimlessinseattle
Why just 1 rock?

It often pops up in areas where conditions are optimal for it's growth. Cyano is common in new tanks, and can appear in mature tanks from time to time. Not really a huge concern IMO, just unattractive. Manually remove and increase flow to the area as suggested.

Archived