Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coralife T5 11" mini lighting? (Fluval Edge)

d21footbal

I had just a few questions... I Currently have a Fluval edge tank that we have converted with leds and a 50/50 mini coralife 10 watt... My GF and I didn't not think we had enough light for our corals and have been reading about other NR members light builds. I was going to do what "dstruong" did with his tank which was remake the top lid and add 4 - 50/50 Coralife 20watts, but in the process of going and buying the bulbs my GF and I found this T5 coralife 11" mini at our local pet store... The manager working there said that this would work great for my tank... Which would save me from having to make the new lid and buying all the new bulbs which cost more then this unit its self. The only delima that I am having is that I don't know anything about T5 lighting and I don't see very many people using this unit and not very many reviews on this lighting system... I was going to use it in addition to what I have already... I just want to know if it is good enough for my tank or should I just build the new lid which isn't that big of a deal, just a little more money... Any input on this would be wonderful and I would be thankful...

Here is some of the basic info on the T5 coralife

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/251063/i/1/product.web

Thanks again,

D

lawnmowerblenny

not the right kind of t-5 for corsld bro....

its great for planted fw tanks and cheato refugiums, but not enough par for much other than shrooms on like a standard 2.5 gal, I own this light and if you want my opinion check out the fishneedit.com lights, you'll be much happier if you spend a little more and get the 70w mh or the smallest t5ho light think its like 20 " maybe...?

not the right kind of t-5 for corsld bro....

its great for planted fw tanks and cheato refugiums, but not enough par for much other than shrooms on like a standard 2.5 gal, I own this light and if you want my opinion check out the fishneedit.com lights, you'll be much happier if you spend a little more and get the 70w mh or the smallest t5ho light think its like 20 " maybe...?

Thank you for the quick reply you are telling me I will be good if i did something like this

http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-24quot-2-lamp-aquarium-l.html

or even the 4 tube system...?

Thanks again... sorry for the Noob Questions...

Also you think this would be a huge imporvment over having 4- 20 Watt 50/50 coralife bulbs cause I'm pretty much the same price as the 4 tube system before shipping...

Thanks again

D

You could replace all your tank lighting with this.

pendant

For t5 I would go with this

T5 fixture

I just received that t5 unit today for my ap12 planted tank and it is awesome! The actinics are nice on it. I have owned the pendant and was really impressed with its build quality. You could hang both of these fixtures above your tank and it would look really good.

yeah if you want a cheap crappy light go with odysea

Cheap definitely, crappy no

The t-5 isnt the best but the pendant is good quality compared to the current usa fixture and coralife fixture I have had. For the price the odyssea t-5 is far better than that coralife t5 fixture.

Nothing, people get upset because they overpayed for there lighting systems and then make claims about a cheaper fixture being "crappy". For you tank I think the t5 system is your best option. The stock bulb look is pretty nice but if you want to get even more light out of t get the uvl t5 vho bulbs. The moonlights are really nice on it as well.

For unbiased opinions on Odyssea fixtures look around for people that actually own an odyssea fixture. there are quite a few people who feel that pdyssea makes crappy fixtures even though they have never owned one and are talking out of there A$$.

Thats right you would be good for anything on your fluval edge with stock bulbs and a 10 gallon the same thing if you upgraded the bulbs to uvl. I can post more pics but this is what the top of the fixture looks like over my ap12.

IMAG0062.jpg

That light first post is the single worst let down I have ever faced in 11 years of nano reefing. it is useful if you shine it on a magnifying glass then focus the little pinpoint as a bare minimum .0001 area of your reef.

for sure the next light I am buying is a 70w metal halide either fishneedit+ushio bulb or the viper setup.

for heat I will space higher and set plants around it to absorb the bleed off. I like it like that anyway.

the light will grow any photosynthetic coral without question now that's peace of mind Im tired of the uncertainties in barely-there lighting.

even power compacts arent selling me anymore, shoulda bought a corvette light the first round rather than work up to it with a series of datsun 79 b210's.

for sure the next light I am buying is a 70w metal halide either fishneedit+ushio bulb or the viper setup.

for heat I will space higher and set plants around it to absorb the bleed off. I like it like that anyway.

the light will grow any photosynthetic coral without question now that's peace of mind Im tired of the uncertainties in barely-there lighting.

even power compacts arent selling me anymore, shoulda bought a corvette light the first round rather than work up to it with a series of datsun 79 b210's.

So you would take the 70W MH fishneedit over the Odyssea 18" Metal Halide Pendant?

I don't mind paying more now so i don't have to worry about it later... Is the Metal Halide that much better? I too don't want to worry about it later... trying to do it right the first time....

Klink, why you gotta pic of my GF as your avatar???

:D

Go with the hailed if you want temp issues and having to top off like crazy. Your best option is the t-5 fixture.

:D

Go with the hailed if you want temp issues and having to top off like crazy. Your best option is the t-5 fixture.

Ok sounds good... I will prob order it tomorrow... and you said to get the uvl t5 vho ? where is a good place to get those and what color should i be looking for?

thanks

D

since you got the large t5 and not the one started in the thread it should be great. topoff is not an issue in my systems so there are still ways to mitigate mh usage, especially with height. people always make it sound like mh has to overheat, it can be raised to deal with it. agree the t5's you got are nice and won't be a heat issue at any height.

OK... I will... The t5 light fixture actually made me and my GF change directions... We are going to turn our fluval edge in to a seahorse tank since they don't req. very much light... and we just picked up a standard 10gal and use the t5 to grow some coral... I think we will do a tank thread on both tanks... If you guys know anything about dwarf seahorses let me know... haha

Thanks guys for all your help again... prob have a new thread up in a few weeks...

D

OK... I will... The t5 light fixture actually made me and my GF change directions... We are going to turn our fluval edge in to a seahorse tank since they don't req. very much light... and we just picked up a standard 10gal and use the t5 to grow some coral... I think we will do a tank thread on both tanks... If you guys know anything about dwarf seahorses let me know... haha

Thanks guys for all your help again... prob have a new thread up in a few weeks...

D

Funny I didn't relize I was on her account haha.. oh well look out for new threads from her or I...

D

Archived