Pod Your Reef

Help Identify Please

CLDCOM

Greetings,

On Saturday 2/12 my son and I set up our BC29. 30lbs of cured live rock, 20lbs of live sand. Last night I noticed that one of the rocks had a white substance which seems to be growing/attached on its base which was not there on Saturday when we set up the tank. This morning it had spread about an inch from the base of the rock to on top of the sand bed. Is this a normal part of cycling and what do you think this is? It looks like white cotton or a melted marsmellow. Any suggestions if I should just let this go or should I try to remove it? Thanks

Yes, kind of but not exact. The one in my tank is not roundish. It is about 1 1/2 inches horizontally and about 1/2 an inch vertically and is located at the base of the rock where it meets the sand. What is confusing me is that it is spreading to the sand bed now. Sorry I cant post a picture now but will try to do so when I get home.

It's probably a sponge or similar. Does it look "holey" up-close?

Good luck with the tank, what are your stocking plans?

Yes, it does look like it is porous the closer I look at it. Not planning on stocking alot, gonna take it very slow. Ultimately, we plan to have a pair of clownfish and one other type, maybe a blenny of some kind. Also, some mushrooms and maybe some zoas but thats about it.

I have added pictures of our new tank including the material I can't identify. Any help would be appreciated.

post-51730-1298000240_thumb.jpg

Yes, it does look like it is porous the closer I look at it. Not planning on stocking alot, gonna take it very slow. Ultimately, we plan to have a pair of clownfish and one other type, maybe a blenny of some kind. Also, some mushrooms and maybe some zoas but thats about it.

I have added pictures of our new tank including the material I can't identify. Any help would be appreciated.

bump

Archived