Cultivated Reef

Lighting ideas/input for 15L not 15Tall

Salt-Mantis

I am making a 15g 24x12X12 into a reef. I want to put ideal lighting into it. I don't want lighting to stop me from getting anything in the future ie: All Corals, Clams, Anemones, even SPS's. I am building a custom canopy so I can retrofit any combanation of lights into a large 24x18X14 space. Can some of you reefers guide me right? Airflow and temp is shouldn't be a problem, its been factored with spacing and fans and can be adjusted. Wattages, types, combanations, and brands. What about moonlighting blue or night viewing red?

What is a good rule of thumb with lighting?

I'm looking for all the responses I can get...

Thanks

I just added a PFO pendant to my 15gal 24x12x12. It has a 175w 10k XM bulb on a Icecap electronic ballast and 2-32w Actinic. The light is great. I have a clam and a 9 SPS. Four of the SPS came out of my former 12g Eclipse with 2x32w and had lost most of their color. In the 2 months under the MH they are regaining it back. Since mine is open top their is no heat issue. But I do evaporate 1/2 gal of water a day.

B)

bobioden, you tank looks great. I look forward to getting mine there. Is that Fiji and Tonga live rock? Thanks for the advice/input. Anyone else got some more ideas, I love to kick around ideas and have options from cheap to obscene.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived