Pod Your Reef

Nano Reef Clean Up Crew

Reef_Addiction

Reef_Addiction

I'm looking getting a better nano reef clean up crew. I'm not really happy with my 3 turbo snails and they tend to knock everything around. Please let me know what you all think with this group, and other suggestions would be great too.

5 blue leg hermit crabs

5 red leg hermit crabs

10 black nassarius snails

3 nerite snails

2 bumble bee snails

Here is the list that I can choose from the above is the list I want to get. Anything better than what I listed would help me out, again this is going in my 12g and eventually to my 39g Cadlight.

* 5 Blue leg reef hermit crabs!(Scavenges and cleans primarily rock and sand. Consumes algae, detritus, and left over foods)

* 5 Red leg reef hermit crabs!(Scavenges and cleans primarily rock and sand. Consumes algae, detritus, and left over foods)

* 3 Hawaiian Zebra reef hermit crabs!(Scavenges and cleans primarily rock and sand. Consumes algae, detritus, and left over foods)

* 10 Black Nassarius snails! (Scavenges and cleans primarily sand with some rock and glass activity. Consumes detritus, and left over foods)

* 3 Astrea Snails! (Cleans primarily rock and glass/acrylic. Consumes various algaes, diatoms, slimes, etc.)

* 2 Zebra Turbo Snails! (Larger snail cleans primarily rock and glass/acrylic. Consumes various algaes, diatoms, slimes, etc.)

* 2 Mexican Turbo Snails! (Larger snail cleans primarily rock and glass/acrylic. Consumes various algaes, diatoms, slimes, etc.)

* 3 Nerite Snails! (Cleans primarily rock and glass/acrylic. Consumes various algaes, diatoms, slimes, etc.)

* 2 Tongan Nassarius Snails! (Scavenges and cleans primarily sand with some rock and glass activity. Consumes detritus, and left over foods)

* 2 Bumblebee Snails! (Scavenges and cleans primarily rock and glass/acrylic with some sand activity. Consumes detritus, and left over foods)

* 1 Tiger Sand Conch! (Cleans primarily sand with some lower tank rock and glass/acrylic. Consumes algae, detritus, slimes, etc.)

thanks in advance,

Niño

I'd drop the # of nassarius down to 2. Expecially since they aren't actually nassarius vibex, which is generally what you want.

It's unfortunate that they don't have any ceriths available, those are some of the best.

John over at reefcleaners.org advises against bumble bees:

Bumble Bee Snail - Sold as a sand stirrer, it eats the micro fauna in your sand that makes it "live".

I'd suggest checking reefcleaners, they can get you the stuff you actually want in your tank :P

in my 12 nanocube i run

3 turbo snails

3 astrea snails

4 nassarius

2 scarlet reef hermits

2 spotted(zebra) hermits

1 gold banded reef shrimp(i had a bristol worm issue that he cleaned up now i love him)

has had great success my only actual problem is i get coraline on the glass which the snails cant mow thru i have to scrape it once a week

Archived