Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2ft nano...need lots of advice please!

FreeDoMangoR34

FreeDoMangoR34

Hello, I have been keeping marine fish and corals for the last 2 year, but have never achieved a nano tank before. I just read the articled on this website and decided to use one of my spare 2ft tanks as a coral only nano tank using natural filtration.

This is what I have so far:

- 2ft tank

- 450l/hr powerhead

- 2 10,000K marine VHO

- 1 actinctic VHO

- 200watt heater

- Lots of coral sand

- about 10kg of LR

- Lots of shroom and leather frags

Will these components be ok for my natural filtrationed nano? I have not setting this up yet, but I do have all the equipment already and the frags are in my main tank. I am going to change the water once a week, only changing 1/4 of the water with NSW. If I do decide to add a small blennie will this harm the water...? For example will the nitrates increase faster than with the corals?

Also, I with the DSB, what creature would be able to clean it as I dont want a cucumber in my tank...? I will be adding some mini turbo snails along with some hermits.

You seriesly think this will turn out ok? I am trying to stick with the article written by Christopher Marks called "natural filtration".

thanks.

Regards

Steve ???

You have found a great place. Just keep looking around and you will find almost every thing you need to know. It sounds like you are still in the "how will a tank that small ever do well" stage. Take a look at the members' nano reefs section. There are a few tanks that are less than 1 gallon!

It looks like you are on the right track. You may want to have more live rock and live sand. The live rock is the basis of the natural filtration method get 1-2 lbs per gallon and 1-3 in of live sand.

Good luck

Archived