Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bubble Algae

jack1978

I brought in a few coral frags on some live rock rubble. A few pieces had aptasia and bubble algae. I added a peppermint shrimp who took care of all the aptasia, but how do I ditch the bubble algae?

Thanks,

I have a slight bubble alage problem. What has worked for me in the past is 25% water changes weekly and manual removal of the bubbles. Dont pop them, they usually come off easily (some dont). Best thing to do is take the whole pieces of rock out and use a skinny long non sharp object to poke them off.

They arent necessarily a sign of bad water parameters, they can still grow when you have very low nitrates and phosphates.

I have a slight bubble alage problem. What has worked for me in the past is 25% water changes weekly and manual removal of the bubbles. Dont pop them, they usually come off easily (some dont). Best thing to do is take the whole pieces of rock out and use a skinny long non sharp object to poke them off.

They arent necessarily a sign of bad water parameters, they can still grow when you have very low nitrates and phosphates.

Thanks. I will remove the rock as they are small frag pieces on rubble just added. Ya, my water is good. Nitrates are 0 and everything else is where they should be. Only on the newly added stuff. Worried about it spreading.

Thanks again,

If you're not able to remove the piece of rock, in the passed I've used a syringe filled with boiling water. Just slowly run the plunger in and cook the bubble. It will turn clear in a few days and disappear. If its growing on a frag I use a sharp knife and scrape it off. I usually then try to scrap the rock very well to remove anything that might have been left behind.

If you're not able to remove the piece of rock, in the passed I've used a syringe filled with boiling water. Just slowly run the plunger in and cook the bubble. It will turn clear in a few days and disappear. If its growing on a frag I use a sharp knife and scrape it off. I usually then try to scrap the rock very well to remove anything that might have been left behind.

Nice tip, thanks. Do you inject the bubble or just squirt the boiling water around it?

BTW, love the avatar!

You could also go with the natural/lazy route and add an Emerald Crab :)

I like the "natural way" but heard they (Emerald Crab) can become a problem as they get bigger....?

Archived