ReefCleaners.org

Adding powerhead to JBJ nano

prox2332

Nope, actually it sort of cancels out the circular flow, if you put it in the left hand back corner (good cross current). Point it slightly towards the surface of the water and you'll eliminate some of that film too.

I assume you're talking about a small powerhead like a rio90, minijet 404 or 606, or powersweep.

I dropped a Rio50 in mine. It looked ugly in the main portion of the tank, so I put it in the back. I created a custom tube that takes the output over the rear wall and directs the water just how I want it. Water is much clearer.

Blinkgyrl2987

i put a minijet 606 in the main tank and kept the small one in the back.. works fine for me... but I might try what bigwakes said... that seems cool

The Rio50 is in one of the middle compartments in the rear. A non-flexible plastic hose is connected to it. I then custom bend the hose with a mini-torch to come over down and out at the anlge I wanted. As you can see it roughs up the surface nice! Also forces more water to flow into the rear.

Here are the additonal slits I cut above the overflow to help surface water flow into the filter. I left the original vent open too and kept one sponge behind the overflow and vent.

I like the amount of debris the sponge catches and don't mind the bit that falls off when I clean it each week. I clean it with the old water change water when I do a water change not RO or fresh that kills any benefical bacteria that it has.

I've also done a light upgrade with cooling fans!

Thanks bigwakes (I replied to the post earlier but it didn't get posted) did the Rio50 fit perfectly in the back of the tank ? I didnt know people were covering the intake vent and using the slits that you did above the intake vent, thats an idea, it may add in more intake force.

I read in another post around here that some guy found a lever in the original stock pump that came with the jbj it decreased or increased the flow, I haven't checked mine yet but i'll wait till the weekend when I do the mods. Thanks for the ideas !

I had my rio 50 in back left corner. I didn't mind it there until I took it out to mix some salt water. It looks so much better without it there. and snails got between it and the glass and I could hear it rattling. I've got a mini jet 606 on the way and I'm gonna do what bigwakes did. and just us rio 50 to mix water. besides I don't want a rio in my tank. I've read too many horror stories with those.

"The Rio50 fits with room to spare. I've never had any problems with any of my Rio's . If for some reason it goes out, it the secondary pump anyway."

it won't just go out. I just went to reefcentral.com and in the general discussion forum typed in "rio destroyed" and, well, Here is just one qoute I got from there. if ya want more, you know where to go.

The question was "why are rios so bad?"

"Other than the fact they the have a track record of catastrophic failure, literally catching on fire under water and spewing toxic copper laced oils into the water, nothing."

Archived