Pod Your Reef

New tank continues to do well, finally some picks

jyg

Yes, I know. All of my livestock is going to die a horrible, miserable, cruel death. Cherished advice. Now, enjoy the pics :)

5gal, Marineland Hex with 13W of 5100k

jyg

p.s. the mandarin goby chomps and gulps frozen mysis like a shark

post-63959-1297837255_thumb.jpg

post-63959-1297837702_thumb.jpg

post-63959-1297837726_thumb.jpg

post-63959-1297838258_thumb.jpg

Never saw a full grown Duncan, did ya?

I've been feeding this one well and he's become this bush of tentacles (that pics a few weeks old) and the new buds have doubles in size in a couple of weeks. I've seen a mess of photos of duncans, but nothing drastically different than mine. What does a "full grown" look like?

5100k?

It makes your tank look like it's full of urine.

Alas, a screw fixture with 13W/5100k is what came with the tank hood. I have a screw-in 10W 50/50 bulb but its not enough light. I have been unable to find any screw bulbs greater than 9W with a different spectrum than the 5100l. So, I just bought a GX23 socket to retrofit the hood with a 13W 50/50 or full actinic. Should arrive off ebay next week.

Perhaps I will install a toilet flush handle on my fish tank for the time being.

5+" across :o

I think it'll end up being most of your tank if it keeps growing at that rate :P

Everyboy loves a free frag :) I can just give away the bigger ones B)

• 5 months later...

Oh I thought I'd give a recent pic. Just moved everything to a 9 gal. The attached pic was taken just before the move. There was simply no room to even get my hand into the tank ... I *had* to get a bigger tank. Really.

post-63959-1312439450_thumb.jpg

Early on I had this nasty 5100k bulb that came with the hex tank. In those early pics above I might have been using that withh a 50/50 coralife CFL. The latest pic is lit with a 60/40 par30 from boostled, much nicer.

Mandarin still alive? tank looked great btw.

As far as I know it still is. I gave it to a friend. The fish itself actually ate well on frozen p.e. mysis. However, my percula and the peppermint got wise to how I was feeding the mandarin and just how tastey mysis are. So while the mandarin would do its stalking ritual, chasing the floating, dead mysis around the tank and eventually eat it, 4 out of 5 times some other animal would snipe it. The tank was just to small to keep this from happening. As soon as the scent of mysis hit the little tank, the frenzy began. So the mandarin unfortunately started to get thin. I did not want it to die so I gave it to a friend with a considerably larger tank.

I replaced it with a very young Clarkii, and the Percula and Clarkii are pretty happy, though the Percula regularly sends reminders as to who's the boss.

Archived