Pod Your Reef

green bubbles taking over?

sefrayser

I have the little green bubbles popping up. I got rid of a few of them and I was careful not to bust them. Well now they are popping up, I may have broke one removing it. SHould I get a emerald crab to help me in my fight or should I pick them out? I have a 34G tank.

My No3 is at 2 and I do approx. 9 gallons WC a week. I am using DD H2Ocean salt. I also run GFO and Carbon. I just added a new light, I went from a 150 MH to a 250 and I think that may have a little something to do with it.

It's more likely to be the algae using up nutrients before they can become integrated to the water column. Good husbandry & an emerald will help, then remember that the greatest source of uptake in the nitrogen cycle is algae through photosynthesis. Add 15-30 min to your light cycle, but not to much since the dark cycle is just as important.

Assuming the leds, are moon lights run the t-5s just a little more. From the looks of it though your par levels may keep you from pushing it much more with out causing problems. also think about skipping feedings a couple times maybe every 3 or 4. to work with this helping to burn what little nutrients in the water column.

not much maybe 20. you've already running for long enough to meet the needs of the tank. the reason for the extra time is to burn up the extra nutrients for just a little while. so only for a couple weeks & if you dose phyto maybe give it an extra dose once a week.

Oh keep in mind this will increase the amount of algae in the tank somewhat. But the point is to fix the nutrients. allowing for proper husbandry to slowly remove them as there released back into the water column over time. While maintaining fewer nutrients in flux between the algae & the water. second while you have the lights bumped watch the detritus accumulation, this comes mostly from things like phyto & such settling out. then since the goal here is to increase the amount of photosynthesis in the tank. the level of phyto may increase causing more to settle out. which can then be removed.

Archived