SaltCritters.com

live rock sludge

legionof1

i just started so im just a fry but i went to my lfs (TEXAS TROPICAL ROCKS)(shameless plug) and it was the end of the night and one dude was cleaning out the live rock tank of all the sludge and rubble now i seen ppl pay for a small scoop of this stuff so i figured what a good way to start my natural filter so i asked him b4 he threw it away if i could buy some well he just gave me about 5 lbs 4 free so i put it all in my tank(30gal) has about 25lbs of live rock already my ?s are

1 was this a good idea and y

2 will the stuff setteling out on to the live rock kill it (suffacate it)

3 if so what can i do

4 what kind of bad things can be found in it and how can i kill them what to look for

5 how long b4 i start to add inverts

any need any help or info or tips thank you

legion of 1 (small ployp in a big tank)

6. Don't put stuff in your tank first, and ask questions later. :D

Yes, the sludge is OK and will have some beneficial bacteria, but 5# is about 4 1/2# more than I would have put in my tank. You might also be picking up some aptasia or flatworms...hopefully not.

It shouldn't be ON the LR, it should be on your sandbed.

Inverts? How long has the tank been set up and what are your parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

2 weeks ,im testing as im reading

30gal tall 25#-30# lr and 5# of rubbel and ls eclipse2hood with 3 stage filter and stock lighting and a spot light to put more light where needed no heater my house stay at 76-80 you think i need one?

:*( test results sp gr 1.023 ph 8.2 no2 .25ppm no3 20ppm

ammonia 0 ppm

all samples taken at 6 inches b-low h2o line and tested with a doc fishwells salt master liquid test kit. wadda u think?

The worm sounds like a bristle worm...but can't be sure without a picture. The params sound like you are still cycling so you shouldn't be adding anything anytime soon unless it is a small cleanup crew. You should always know as much as possible about what you are putting in the tank before you do it. LR and LS should not be a second guessing type of thing. You prolly didn't get anything really bad, but there is always a chance. As for stuff settling on the LR, take a turkey baster and blast off anything that has settled on it. Do this a few times and that stuff will settle on the substrate instead.

Don't know if I would have put something described as "sludge" into my tank, but then again I have done a lot of stuff in the past I still wonder about today... :)

Good luck!

Archived