Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Finally!

mattdog

After two weeks, and much to my delight, my peppermint shrimp have finally went medievil on my aiptasia! I looked in my tank this afternoon and the smallest of the two big aiptasia was gone. On top of its hole sat a fat peppermint shrimp that was still excavating his meal from the work site. :happy:

So that means that I have one more big one left. "Bertha" is almost 1 1/4" long and has a spread of about 3/4". She has been retracted for a couple days now and I hope the shrimp are able to capitalize on her in her weakened state.

The only thing that I don't like about these shrimp is that they took a liking for my hitchhiker featherdusters and fanworms. I wish that they were still around.

The tank that these six guys are in is a 20G Long that also houses a black spined urchin, two false percs, and a scarlet cleaner shrimp. That's probably too many shrimp but I didn't think that just one would be enough to take care of the problem I was having.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

6 peppermint shrimp? My advice is once the aptasia are gone, get those shrimp out of there! I had a peppermint shrimp that attacked my feather duster, polyps, etc, etc relentelessly. Many people say peppemint shrimp are safe and don't bother anything (which is why I bought one), but I had a markedly different experience and wouldn't recommend them.

nano neophyte

That's great news. We now have three peppermints in our tank with the sole purpose of ridding ourselves of the aptasia. Thanks for the update.

I would agree that peppermints are not compatible with feather dusters. I don't know what I'll do with them after the pesky anemones are gone. Man that shrimps still cleanin out that hole.

Matt

NanoReefer53

why not just get an injection needle and inject those suckers with boiling water or kalk water. After the food supply goes out in the tank they're gonna starve to death or eat things u don't want them to.

Archived