Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Only Nanos

nanocurious

40oz casualtie

no i dont think so but why not put Lr in the tank then you could add mushrooms, flower anemonies, and feather dusters if you don't have much lighting

I would like to, but I have never used LR in a fish only tank before, especially one as small as a nano cube before I have always kept it in my 55 reef, and I am not certain about the upkeep on a tank that small. If you can shed some light on the subject, PLEASE do so !!!

Hi Nanocurious,

Question for you. If you are not going to use LR, what were you planning on using for filtration? I think that most of the people use LR as a means of biological filtration instead of using a HOB filter with a filter pad. It should definitely work without liverock as long as you had adequate filtration and performed weekly water changes. It might look a whole lot better with LR though...

Some LR would definitely add to the stability of the system... not to mention the looks. An added bonus of the live rock is that it helps to set up a mini ecosystem in your tank. It will add numerous detritivores that will stir your substrate and clean up after the fish. The pods that will populate the tank from the live rock will form a nice addition to the diet of the fish. The LR will also reduce the stress level of your fish by providing htem with a sense of security. Keep in mind that the reef environment has plenty of predators so a fish with nowhere to hide is a fish with plenty to worry about. With no LR he is more likely to sit in one spot so as not to draw much attention to himself. With structure in the tank he will behave more naturally. The greater stress from not having a hideing spot will also leave him more open to disease and "eating disorders".

I have kept both fish only and FOWLR tanks and have always found that aside from the asthetics of the LR, I also have more long term success and fewer maintenance hassles with the FOWLR.

It doesn't take a huge amount of LR to give your tank a nice population of critters. If you prefer the empty tank look then just add in one piece to the corner. A single piece of structure will do wonders for the health of the animal.

Archived