Cultivated Reef

Help with nitrates

silent183

Don't worry about the haters talking about overfeeding.. you said you feed what they can eat. If they can eat it all, twice a day, that's fine. I find it pretty cruel how some people starve their fish, but, hey, that's for their conscience to deal with, not mine.

As was already established, I'd say your water may not be so hot.

Also, I didn't see your lighting mentioned anywhere.. what are you running and for how long?

Running this light from my LFS for 10hrs a day.

toofishy.com/product.php?productid=92288&cat=738&page=1

My 2 cents. Agree with comments about water. Yes, get a TDS meter. Your water should read 0 but if it's a little higher don't fret. Take care of that and then see where you are.

Fish have no concept of "cruelty"

But humans do. And fish certainly do have a concept of being really, really hungry... you can draw the line from there.

That's a pretty awesome light.. you could also consider cutting the lighting back a few hours until everything is under control.

But humans do. And fish certainly do have a concept of being really, really hungry... you can draw the line from there.

That's a pretty awesome light.. you could also consider cutting the lighting back a few hours until everything is under control.

Yeah just the blues on really makes my corals colors pop

Just ordered a TDS-3 meter from air, water & ice and have 10 gallons of DI water mixing right now for a WC tomorrow. I'm almost positive that it's the water now that I think of it since I had 0 problems with the DI water until I switched to this other water.

Got my tds-3 meter in, tested my tap water and it reads 110ppm then ro/di water from my lfs is reading over 999ppm for some reason. I don't think I'm testing it right or something because their inline tds meter is reading 0ppm. Here's some pics of the algae I'm trying to get rid of.

20110220145805.jpg

20110220145754.jpg

I always had nitrates until I started using biopellets. I have a two little fishes phosphate reactor with biopellets tumbling. I tried dosing vodka for a bit, but it just seemed to piss off my corals if they got so much as 1 drop too much. The pellets are a lot safer.

AND 0 nitrates!

And my fish are pigs- so the biopellets do a good job on eliminating 20+ nitrates.

I always had nitrates until I started using biopellets. I have a two little fishes phosphate reactor with biopellets tumbling. I tried dosing vodka for a bit, but it just seemed to piss off my corals if they got so much as 1 drop too much. The pellets are a lot safer.

AND 0 nitrates!

And my fish are pigs- so the biopellets do a good job on eliminating 20+ nitrates.

Just remember, bio-pellets and vodka do the same thing, it's still carbon dosing. Better to use too little for your tank than too much. Too much bio pellets will lead to the same problems as dosing too much vodka.

I do 20%-25% weekly on my tanks... it dosnt hurt anything to go bigger to a certain point... also I run chemi pure elite or fluval clearmax both of which are ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,phosphate absorbers.

Archived