Cultivated Reef

clownfish spot

mheiden

I have a pair of ocellaris clownfish in my tank with live rock and a coral banded shrimp and snails. One of the clownfish now as a small white spot on her top (dorsal?) fin. It is at the very tip of the fin and looks to almost be on the edge. It just appeared about 2 days ago. I am concerned of what it may be and what I can do about it. I don't have a quarantine tank and that is really not an option. Are there any other options or do I need to be concerned at all? It is the only white spot that I see and the fish is still eating well and acting normally. I thought it might have been overactive with its swimming, but I could just be over-analyzing. It's not rubbing against anything. Thank you for your help.

Keep an eye on the fish. It could be any number of things including a piece of sand stuck to him. If the spot hangs out for 3 days or so, vanishes and then reappears with a few friends it's probably crypto (Ich.) If it just stays there and the fish shows no other symptoms then it might be scarring or a viral infection (lymphocystis) which can be caused by stress or poor water conditions. Check your water quality, make any corrections needed and observe the fish.

And get yourself a quarantine/hospital tank (aquarium, heater, any old light and a filter with biowheel, no substrate or rock). It never hurts to be prepared.

Archived