Innovative Marine Aquariums

star polyps didn't open yet

augustus007

Hello, Just wondering why my star polyps didn't open yet. Its been 24 hours since I purchased them at the LFS. I saw one start to open and then it closed. I have them at mid tank where they are getting med water flow.

Yes I acclimated them. I also bought a colt coral witch opened last night. Here are my parms:

PH 8.4

Phos. 0 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

Ammonia 0ppm

DKH 9

Salinity 1.25

Temp 78 deg

I have a 14 gallon Biocube with a hydor 1200( replacing stock pump) with hydor flo deflector.

Biocube skimmer

bioballs in 2nd chamber

original fluorescent lights

Everything has been set up since Oct. with LS and 20 lbs of LR

Thanks man, That's kinda what I thought. I just wanted to hear it from another source. Got a good deal on them too. $14 for the rock frag of 24 to 30 polyps. I think they are the pink ones. The base is purple. I just remember them looking real nice in the LFS.. LOL, now they just look like corolline algea

I got a frag of green polyps stars that I can't get to stick to a rock, so I been using the shot glass method, and then move them from my old tank to my new BC29, all the rest of the coral open up but this ones, after a week I move the shot glass to another place for a better light and flow, and the polyps fell off, so I pick it up and found 3 small worms underneath the purple base, so I know now that their didn't open because of the worms and that was 2 days ago so just given a little bit more time

I got a frag of green polyps stars that I can't get to stick to a rock, so I been using the shot glass method, and then move them from my old tank to my new BC29, all the rest of the coral open up but this ones, after a week I move the shot glass to another place for a better light and flow, and the polyps fell off, so I pick it up and found 3 small worms underneath the purple base, so I know now that their didn't open because of the worms and that was 2 days ago so just given a little bit more time

Funny you should mention thatt thing with the worms. I found, what I believed to be a

bristle worm lurking around on that same star polyp frag. I took the old turky baster and sucked him out. It was red so it could have been one of those fire bristle worms. Not sure though. Rather be safe than sorry.

sometimes if mine doesn't open up for a while, I take a toothbrush and scrub it. It pisses it off more, but usually pops out the next day. it needs a scrubbing occasionally heh

OK, update. Half opened. Here is the pic

Here is the rest of the tank taken today.I'm taking it real slow. Corals are expensive and I have a family. LOL

Update. My Green Chromis is somewhere hiding. My yellow banded shrimp is upside down in that cave like structure. My large turbo snail is funny. He was riding the hydor flo today. I got it on camera. Trying to upload it.

post-58667-1297644629_thumb.jpg

It took a few days for mine to fully open, just see a polyp here and there. These are doing really well and grow so fast. I just bought a sheet of rock to place it on, just have it on my SB right now. I have a bristle worm in mine too, and a tiny brittle star that lives inside it. Im going to dip them to get all these pests out.

It took a few days for mine to fully open, just see a polyp here and there. These are doing really well and grow so fast. I just bought a sheet of rock to place it on, just have it on my SB right now. I have a bristle worm in mine too, and a tiny brittle star that lives inside it. Im going to dip them to get all these pests out.

they are not pests!

OK, update. Half opened. Here is the pic

Here is the rest of the tank taken today.I'm taking it real slow. Corals are expensive and I have a family. LOL

Update. My Green Chromis is somewhere hiding. My yellow banded shrimp is upside down in that cave like structure. My large turbo snail is funny. He was riding the hydor flo today. I got it on camera. Trying to upload it.

BTW, I noticed a green algea bubble on that newly fragged star polyps after examining the first pic. I didn't notice that bubble with my reading classes on when I first got the frag. Just noticed a bubble. Couple of days it grew bigger. I immediatly removed it(not popping it) and scooped it out of the water. Last thing I want is green bubble algea. Whoo, that was close.

cool scape, tank looks great!

Thanks man. Nothing is glued(except for fraged corals on small rock that I purchased), just wedged in everything together . Trying to keep it as natural as I can.

I also have this problem with the star polyps.. I have mine at about 3 1/2 from the top of my tank with a 240 nano powerhead on it.. I was wondering if this will be alright - after he stops being a D-Bag and comes out to play ???

Archived