Pod Your Reef

hang on refugiums

Crakeur

Well, I am thinking of adding the aquafuge hang on refugium to my tank. Does anyone use the aquafuge hang on? Along with allowing me separate space to keep macro-algae, it will increase the amount of water in the system, which is also a plus.

Any info on the product would be appreciated.

Lunchbucket

yeah i made my own. umm, i am not gonna use it anymore...any buyers :D

just make the box the demesions that fit your needs...plumb it, use a couple baffles.. and you have a 120buck CPR one for way way way cheaper plus it is custom to your needs and your tank. just look at a pic of the cpr ones and copy it...very easy

Lunchbucket

the aquafuge is 89 bucks and all I would need is a little light to clip onto it so the price is cheap (for me at least) and spending $30 bucks on a diy that will probably cost me more in stress and aggrivation isn't worth it.

Thats exactly why I spent the money for one of the CPR Aquafuges in the first place! I didnt feel like giving myself a migraine headache trying to cut and glue and plumb and saw, and drill. I have noticed a definate increase in pod levels since adding my aquafuge to my tank! I highly reccomend them! As an added plus it is slim and takes up hardly any room! The only thing I am going to change on mine is the powerhead! I am gonna take off the Rio and go with a Maxi Jet! :)

all you do is glue!!! everything else home depot will do for you..and you lazy a$$..get up and move around sometimes..hahahha

Sea Wraith, what lighting do you have on the cpr unit? they sent me a list of links for sights that sell clip on refugium lights.

Unfortunatley I might be moving the tank and even (gasp) taking it down thanks to the wife's redecorating my "play" room into the baby's room. While we both agree that the tank would be nice in the baby's room, she doesn't like the idea of me constantly tinkering with the tank when the baby is sleeping.

Anthony for your info the Home DeFunct here is staffed by a bunch of No Account Wankas! With attitudes and smartass remarks similar to yours! So now if I want any more ###### out of you I'll squeeze your neck! :D

Crack and Asahi, I went to the local Lowes store here (which is staffed by much more knowledable and kinder people) and picked a 24 inch flourescent light fixture with ballast for 17 bucks and added a 2 dollar on/off switch and coralife 20,000k superdaylight bulb and hung the entire unit by a chain from the ceiling. I painted the fixture black and retrofitted a spare reflector I had lying around from an old oceanic light fixture! All told the complete cost for the new light and bulb was 30 bucks. I was told that a regular flourescent growlux plant bulb would work but I like the Coralife bulb better! I would also like to add that Lowes and Wal-Mart both sell GE undercounter lights with PC bulbs in them, The small version is 9 inches wide by 1-1/2 thich by 4 inches tall and uses a 13 watt GE Personal Compact Flourescent bulb and sells for about $19.00 1 or 2 of these little units would work great on a small refugium like the CPR Aquafuge. Also I took a spare piece of plexiglass from an old 20 gallon cover and put it over the refugium to keep any little friendlies I may add later from getting out. I used a pair of small piano hinges to attach the plexiplass lid to the refugium. Both the lid and refugium were drilled at very low speed to keep the plexiglass from cracking or shattering and then the holes were tapped on both the refugium and the plexiglass lid to accept 6x32 screws to hold the hinges on! Of course this would void the warranty on a new CPR Refugium but I said what the hell, Mine is already out of warranty anyhow! It turned out very nice if I say so myself! As soon as I can wrench my camera back from my brother who is using it on vacation, I'll take pics of the refugium setup and post them here!

The places that I was directed to were:

premiumaquatics.com

marinedepot.com

and two others. I found squat on three of the sites but premium aquatics has a little light made by jalli that can be clipped onto the refugium (at least I think it can).

I emailed Cory at PA for more info and will post here when I get a response.

Archived