ReefCleaners.org

Fluval CHI! - With video!

aggiereefer12

aggiereefer12

So for a while now I had a fluval chi and have been trying to work on it to make it saltwater reef capable. The main goal is to keep with the "chi" motif and not discard the design. So there wont be and HOB filtration any T-5s or MHs. I will be running it bare bottom so as to help with weekly water changes and removal of detritus. I am looking to either coat the bottom with GSP or the green fern algae that I have in there now.

Equipment

Stock fluval chi

Koralia nano

Aqueon heater for 20 gallons

Minijet pump (to replace the stock pump)

3 cree xr-e blue LEDS

3 cree xp-g cw LEDs

-both driven on a buckpuck 1000ma dimmable puck with a laptop ps

Aqualifter pump with float valve in line - currently offline due to putting stray current in tank :(

~4.5 pounds of dry rock from BRS

-used a drill to make holes in the rock and then plastic hangers to stack the rock. Also have to rock shelves that are being held up by magnets, this is where my montis will probably go

Bonded filter pad

Carbon

LiveStock

1 cleaner shrimp - added 2/6/11

2 zoa frags - added 2/6/11

1 "frag" of neomeris algae

I have this tank as a FW tank. Its a great little tank. I love the design. I think you should have a Sexy nation and have 7 sexies in there instead of the skunk. Just my opinion.

aggiereefer12
I have this tank as a FW tank. Its a great little tank. I love the design. I think you should have a Sexy nation and have 7 sexies in there instead of the skunk. Just my opinion.

I am looking at getting some sexy shrimp in. My future stock list is rics, nice zoas, couple of montis, and an sps or 2 maybe a milli or something

aggiereefer12
Sounds good so far. Waiting to see how you did the LEDs...

Well they dont look that great considering everything other than the LEDs and wire I got from HD but here we go.

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

This was before they were waterproofed and attached

and not the best FTS ever but its decent for a camera phone with like 100 cracks on the screen

100MEDIA_IMAG0354.jpg

aggiereefer12
yes good job with this tank. just be very careful about water proofing them, lots of risk there.

Ya this is my 3rd attemp

~1st ended because I went the cheap way out on the waterproofing

~2nd ended because I went the cheap way out with the LEDs

~3rd so far is a success with dishing out more money lol

good to hear!

dont go too crazy with SPS at first, start with the soft corals the LPS and the SPS after you are sure your tank runs stable for many months. will be easier in the long run.

looks good but way too linear in the middle. let the two monti caps(is that what you will use?) take over the ENTIRE right side/right top. even engulfing the area where that red acro was going to be. the clam has excellent placement, and the orange acro is cool too. in a small tank like this, its very nice to see one or two corals dwarf the rest. it would be good to have those monti caps lookd very big compared to others. this not only helps make your tank look much bigger than it is, but also doesnt make your tank look cluttered.

aggiereefer12

Just picked up some frags! Got a ric, superman mushroom, and an unknown shroom that idk what I'm gonna do with I might keep it in my bc29. Also have some nice gsp, what I suspect to be purple ppl eaters, eagle eyes, one more unknown, and some yellow polyps again don't know which tank the yellow polyps are going. as well as an orange monti piece that is absolutely tiny.

aggiereefer12

OK so not a video of my Chi but it is a video from a chi at my work. We are entered in a contest and the winner is based on total number of views. So please take 3.5 minutes and watch this video. comment on it is even better! thanks for looking

took a look at it, you did a good job with presentation. sorry i spelled "goldfish" wrong in the comments xD

is there anyway you could have hid that one cord from the light?

aggiereefer12
took a look at it, you did a good job with presentation. sorry i spelled "goldfish" wrong in the comments xD

is there anyway you could have hid that one cord from the light?

Thanks for the comment.

Unfortunately no the cord comes out the back and then doesnt really have anywhere to go. I guess we coulda put a background on it....

...I am thinking of doing this on my tank. any thoughts? Also all corals are acclimating well and looking good so far! :)

Funktastic Wint
Thanks for the comment.

Unfortunately no the cord comes out the back and then doesnt really have anywhere to go. I guess we coulda put a background on it....

...I am thinking of doing this on my tank. any thoughts? Also all corals are acclimating well and looking good so far! :)

you should spray paint the cord bright purple and then glue little polyps on it so it looks like a gorgonian. ^-^

LOL but seriously dont put sum lame background on it.

aggiereefer12
you should spray paint the cord bright purple and then glue little polyps on it so it looks like a gorgonian. ^-^

LOL but seriously dont put sum lame background on it.

I was thinking this background

but might just do a black background

dont go with that, black if you really need it..

and sorry, I could not help commenting again. I'd delete my comments if you want. just let me know.

aggiereefer12

Thanks for watching it guys really appreciate it. And dont worry bout the comments should be fine.

Why would you advise against no background or black if its a must?

I meant do not go with those premade backgrounds, the blue water just doesnt look right for a small tank, i have seen it used before. If you want to go with the background, I'd do black color.

Do you have any pictures or info on what you used to waterproof the LED plate? Also where did you install the new power head and pump?

I have a CHI as well and am looking to mod it.

Thx and keep up the good work.

aggiereefer12
Do you have any pictures or info on what you used to waterproof the LED plate? Also where did you install the new power head and pump?

I have a CHI as well and am looking to mod it.

Thx and keep up the good work.

thanks.

the K nano is in the back left corner of the tank near the bottom. the minijet pump replaced the stock pump. But you can only do this if you remove the stock lighting as well.

As far as the waterproofing the LEDs goes it was a 2 part epoxy from HD that I had used. I waterproofed it then drilled holes in the 4 corners to allow nylon bolts to go through the plate. then used nylon nuts and attached them to the inside of the stock filter box to have a spot for the bolts to attach to.

On the top half of the filter box I have carbon, polyfiber, LRR.

Good luck on your build. took me about 4 months to get this one right, and still hoping all works out prefect (granted I gave up for 2 1/2)

Archived