Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can you ID this acropora?

sea bass

I found this interesting variety of acropora and wanted to know the species a little better. I've searched high and low but so far I'm not finding anything that resembles this variety. The only thing I know for sure is that apparently it is native to the Solomon Islands. That's all I know at this point. Would much appreciate any help you guys can offer! TY in advance.

post-41482-1297526299_thumb.jpg

Was it from a wild colony? pretty cool piece, hope it colors up.

my LFS had a big colony that looked just like that and it was labeled Fiji Acropora

The LFS where I got this one says it was. They say it is from a supplier that replaces one for every frag taken. I got this one this past week and according to the LFS they'd just gotten their shipment in a day or two before. So this one will probably take a little while to warm up to the new environment. Interesting to see what it winds up looking like.

Thanks for replying. How long have you had yours and how is it doing now?

Wow....I've seen that linked thread somewhere!

Please be aware that corals chan change RADICALLY between frag and colony. I have pictures taken just two months apart, of the same coral, showing major changes in growth form, and have grown frags that started as green as a new green t-shirt and ended up as interestingly colored as anything in my tank. I was once told that guessing the species of an Acropora before 6 months / 3 inches is just an exercise in futility.....

......but....it does look like a chesterfield from my experience.

The LFS where I got this one says it was. They say it is from a supplier that replaces one for every frag taken. I got this one this past week and according to the LFS they'd just gotten their shipment in a day or two before. So this one will probably take a little while to warm up to the new environment. Interesting to see what it winds up looking like.

Thanks for replying. How long have you had yours and how is it doing now?

i didn't buy it, but my LFS had it for a good month or so and it turned to a nice dark neon green. really cool!

Archived