Cultivated Reef

Nano cube retrofit kit

Mainframe562

The 32W unit is the one everyone is using on the JBJ NanoCube. I have one installed on mine.

It won't just bolt in, you have to be a little inventive and mechanical to mount it. (bend reflector, modify existing wiring)

Good luck with it, it worked for me

Paul P

i have this on mine too but it took me a few hours to install and a few slivers on my finger (watch out for the reflector its sharp stuff) i have pics of my hood if u would like some

Hi clute0488, if you could give me those pictures i would greatly appreciate it. I will place an order for the lights this week, and one more question, is the ballast long enough to be placed in the back? thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
DitchPlains

So everyone here has bent the reflector?? Has anybody tried ot use the CSL reflector and just cut the exsisting one...and placing both ballasts on back or floor? I just got one and haven;t installed yet, I rigged the light it works fine but worried about removing the old light. Did you need to buy wire?? Was the exsisting ballast long enought o placed on the back?? Thanks everyone

Mainframe562

DitchPlains, all i did was gutted out the old existing light and the reflector and used everything that was in that box. The wire between the light and ballast is really long. Mines sitting on the floor away from my tank, so no need to purchase any wiring. The reflector that came with the kit was a bit long so I just used scissors and cut it short. Others combined the 24w and 32w together, but it will just create too much heat, and you will have to install a fan, plus I really dont trust the ballast that came with the nano cube. Hope this helps. :

DitchPlains

Actually thats what i am doing is adding the 32 watts to the exsisting 24, thats the wires i was asking about, is the original wires for the 24 watts long enough to attach to the back?? I know its just better to get 2 32 watt CSL retrofits but my budget won't allow that....poor grad student here. anyways are there any good links for this type of retofit....24 watt orignal and 32 watt CSL retofit combined??

DitchPlains

I just completed the 32 CSL retofit into my exsisting 24 watt NANO Cube, it took about an hour was very easy indeed. The first thing is, I didn't take the hood off. The reason is because the threads i read about popping it off with a screw driver are bogus. My Nano Cube has a hing with two prongs on either side latching it on quite securly and a small piece of molded plastic in front to prevent it from comming off. I nearly ruined my hood trying this bogus thread on popping the hood off. Anyone planning on retofitting....YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE THE HOOD OFF. This isn't very difficult stuff here to do. I just laid some cardboard over the water surface undid the screws from the cover and reflector. All you need to do is bend the reflector, making sure to flip it slightly at the end so the 24 watt reflects into the water. I placed the 32 watt CSL upfront so it gives off more light into the tank and the 24 watt is in the back. I used some electical tape on the exsisting ballast wires to secure them from water damage, and placed them in the back. Yes the exsisting ballast is just long enough to fit on the back. I used velcro to attach it back there. Anyways the hardest part is getting the old ballast wires and the new ballast wires up and through the tiny little slots in the stock reflector. Might have been better to just build an entirely new rflector from scracth alluminum. Sorry, I didnt get any pics of this whole operation, but maybe on next NANO CUBE. Ok take care and good luck:rant: :teehee:

I am sorry Ditchplains, you are now required to dismantle the whole deal and put it back together, this time with a film crew at hand . . . .

KB

I'm toying with the idea of swapping out the lighting in my cube... I would really prefer to REPLACE the old lighting, instead of ADDING

but is it worth it?

DitchPlains

Not to jump all over your quote, but how is adding 32 watts to an exsisting 24 watts only adding 8 watts?? You might need some remedialmath help on that one. I think you thought I was only replacing the 24 for a 32 which would explain things.....and Yes your right thats not worth the money and I unfortunately paid 53 bucks at Foster and Smith for my CSL 32 watt retrofit. Where did you see the CSL fo 39 bucks?? Ok take care man!:-*

DitchPlains

One CSL 32 Watt Retrofit and exsisting 24 watt JBJ Lighting equaling out a decent 56 Watts, and maybe getting 5.6 watt per gallon.:woot:

Its on sale for 39.99 right now... I guess I should have made it clear that I will be REPLACING, not ADDING the new lighting.

do you think its worth it??

DitchPlains

Well, thats a very good question, I will have to say yes. For 39.99 you get a 32 watt light which in my opinion is a very good deal. The exsisting light in my opinion is really weak and you can't get a lot of growth from it. But adding it to the exsisting light is really easy man! You should just add it and get the full 56 watts, the only bad thing is the heat. My tank with both lights on and my heater set to 77.7 degrees hovers at 80.1 with the lights on and back down to 77 with them off at night. These temps are still in the acceptable range. More lights equal better looking and growing corals. So its up to you but thats my humble opinion.:unsure:

56 sounds pretty sweet! I guess I will have to make the decision after I get it... but I think I'm going to order it.

Just to be sure... is this the one you got for your JBJ nano??

lg_518529_19449D.jpg

Archived