Innovative Marine Aquariums

What's happening to my plate coral!

aquariumcentral

aquariumcentral

Basically what the title says, does anyone know what's happening to my plate coral?

I purchased it about two weeks ago and it looked this way when I bought (at the time I didn't think anything of it)

Recently I've seen a lot of plate corals and they all seem to look perfect and no one seems to have a clue what I'm talking about at the lfs.

Basically it has these little "volcano like" mounds, about 3 of them and they look huge when the coral closes up at night. During the day it's not as easy to see the mounds because the plates inflated. The one mound on the right has had this brown waste coming out since I purchased it. I thought it might just be producing waste but it seems like a weird spot for that to occur. My other guess was that it was starting to split and reproduce but i don't know.

All opinions are valued, thanks.

post-54074-1297480393_thumb.jpg

post-54074-1297480412_thumb.jpg

It has air trapped under the flesh from what I can tell. Next time you put your plate in, flip it over several times, so all air bubbles are removed. I would try to do that now, because air bubbles will KILL your plate. However, flesh should regrow over the damaged parts if it is fed nicely and taken care of well.

aquariumcentral

Thanks Daleo, I just fed the plate so when it's done eating I'm going to try flipping it over and see if any air comes out, hopefully that will help :D

Archived