Pod Your Reef

Hi Everybody

oFISHially

Allow me to say that my name is Zeke and i'm currently a member of another reefing forum but after checking this site for a bit, I decided to start posting! I'm not new new to the hobby but i'm definitely no pro at it either. I had a 29 gal setup back in high school while working for a LFS! Anyway, it's nice to meet everyone and I hope to be a positive asset and friend to the people in this forum. And again, i'd like to say HI!

Like Urbankes said :welcome: I promise this is the best reefing site out there. The people are great and helpfull. You will find all the info you need on these forums.

I don't have a current setup right now! It sucks but I live in a dorm and work for the California Conservation Corps in Lake Tahoe. Can't do a setup there. When I finish in June, I definitely want a new setup. Planning to move to the Sacramento area and go to college. As of now, my crew at work is in San Diego until next wed. Posting from my phone. This site has so many members logged on compared to the one I go to. I also know someone here who goes to the other forum as well. I figure it would be nice to check another forum so I can get more experience out of the hobby. Like the other site I go to, I lurked this one for a bit without posting. I love the members aquariums and all in one tank categories. And especially the FTS thread, haha.

qwiksilver711
I don't have a current setup right now! It sucks but I live in a dorm and work for the California Conservation Corps in Lake Tahoe. Can't do a setup there. When I finish in June, I definitely want a new setup. Planning to move to the Sacramento area and go to college. As of now, my crew at work is in San Diego until next wed. Posting from my phone. This site has so many members logged on compared to the one I go to. I also know someone here who goes to the other forum as well. I figure it would be nice to check another forum so I can get more experience out of the hobby. Like the other site I go to, I lurked this one for a bit without posting. I love the members aquariums and all in one tank categories. And especially the FTS thread, haha.

what is the other forum? i'm always interested to check some out

The other site I go to is called Living Reefs. They actually have a very friendly community and I like them a lot. Not as many people on there as there is on this site but I like it. Other than that, I like looking at tank threads that people make. It gives me plenty of thoughts and ideas about a future setup. When I do have a new tank, I want to either get a AIO setup or get a standard 29-40 gal setup. When it comes to AIO tanks, i'm interested in the JBJ 28 gal LED or the RSM. But like anyone else, I'm not thrilled with the lighting of the RSM. If I did get one, I'd want to try to mod it with different lights or take the hood off and mount a different fixture. I really like LED lighting but i'm well aware it's pretty new to the hobby and companies will probably come out with better models as time goes by. I do like the shimmer effect one gets without all the heat and power consumption. Other than that, halides are nice as well as T5HO. My favorite corals arw softies as of now. I want to have a tank stocked with zoas, shrooms, and ricoderas. Probably some Xenia as well. As far as stocking goes, it depends on the size tank i'd get. Probably a pair of clowns and a goby\blenny or something. But until that time comes, i'd like to help out and get help on the hobby itself. Some people get addicted to drugs. Saltwater aquariums are my drug, lol.

Well if all you wanted to do was keep softies as of now you could get the JBJ 28g Nano Cube CF-Quad which has PC lighting and it costs half as much as the LED. If you chnge your mind and want SPS and clams you have the option to upgrade to T5-HO and Metal Halide.

As far as I know, the jbj 28 doesn't have a T5 option unless you mod the hood. Unless you just mean on a standard tank. I'd probably want to keep sps at a later point. I'd also want to pick up a clam probably as well. If I do get an AIO, what's usually more preferred? The JBJ or the Oceanic AIO's? If I got the HQI version of the jbj\oceanic, wouldn't heat be an issue? Given I got the closed hood models as opposed to open top models that JBJ does have.

Archived