SaltCritters.com

Reduced flow at night?

oncorhynchus

I'm running a RKL in my 14 gallon biocube with a maxijet 900 in the return and koralia nano for extra flow. I added some small clowns a few weeks ago. It seemed that they were struggling in the flow so to ease up on them a bit I set the koralia to go off at night. Do I need to do this? Any downside to doing this - more likely to get cyano/algae?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman

I have been doing this for a long time(reducing my flow overnight) with no negative effects.I have my main pump to turn off at night with a timer.

I have been doing this for a long time(reducing my flow overnight) with no negative effects.I have my main pump to turn off at night with a timer.

Given the potential for lower oxygen levels at night in many tanks, it seems like a better idea to maintain or even increase flow at night. I admittedly, however, reduce flow on my Vortech at night to reduce noise.

TheNorthernLight

From what I understand, at night certain water flows reduce.. if the tides are occuring during the day.

As long as you have your main powerhead pointed somewhat at the surface, you should be getting enough airation which should mitigate oxygen level drops. Also, if your running a protein skimmer, they are fantastic for maintain oxygen levels. Now if your referring to ORP, that's a whole different ballgame, that I don't think flow has much of an effect on (although I could be completely wrong on that last point).

Archived