Innovative Marine Aquariums

JBJ 28gallon NC LED?

Mini-Dude

Need help deciding what tank. Found a great deal on the LED but was wondering the disadvantages and advantages over the CF-Quad. Can anyone help?

Thanks, M-D

Need help deciding what tank. Found a great deal on the LED but was wondering the disadvantages and advantages over the CF-Quad. Can anyone help?

Thanks, M-D

The LED lighting will allow you to keep pretty much anything you want under it....My SPS thrived under the stock LED lighting. It will probably run cooler than the CF Quad but thats just a guess.

I didn't care for the color of the stock LEDs. I ended up selling my stock LED system and going with an aftermarket LED retrofit to get the color I was looking for. The stock hood uses mostly white LEDs...personally I thought it needed more blue to it. However, thats personal opinion and some might prefer the color of the stock lighting.

If you go with stock can you put more blue LEDs on it?

I briefly looked into ways to do it but abandoned the idea for a full retro....there is probably a way to do it if you were dead set on it. I just didn't have the spare time to play around with trying to make something work.

Ended up with a nano-tuners 5.6 LED retro and am happy with it.

How long did you have the stock? Did your corals thrive?

The stock lights were on there probably 6 months. I have no complaints with them other then I didn't care for the color. I saw a lot of growth in the tank under stock lighting...especially from montipora, both digitata and caps.

I've heard stories of stock LEDs failing but had no issues while I had them.

If you don't mind a 14000ish K look and can get a good deal....I wouldn't hesitate. If you prefer a different color such as a bluer 20000K look...you might want to reconsider.

i would say a good used tank is the way to go 85% of the time.(there are some cases this is not true)

you also get them cheaper and can package more things together.(i.e everything you need) vs new you have to buy everything else.

Ok what's your opinion on buying used tanks?

Honestly, I don't have much of an opinion regarding used tanks. Personally I'd make sure copper wasn't used in the tank. If it's in good shape and the price is right, it might be worth picking up. I'd give it a good cleaning before use...fresh water and vinegar.

But thanks for all the help MarcG!

i would say a good used tank is the way to go 85% of the time.(there are some cases this is not true)

you also get them cheaper and can package more things together.(i.e everything you need) vs new you have to buy everything else.

If this was like FaceBook and I could "Like" your comment, I would lol!

Archived