Top Shelf Aquatics

mantis shrimp

jrumpf

so i just started a 12g nano last saturday. I have a huge piece of live rock as the center peice of the tank. the LR has a bunch of pinky sized holes in it. I am pretty sure something is living in one of the holes as the hole keeps closing off. today while i noticed the hole had closed off again, it moved, just slightly - but definately moved.

No idea what it is, suspect maybe a mantis shrimp, but i am a total newb, first sw aquarium ever.

I am in the part of my cycle where brown algae has just started. Do I need to removed that peice of LR? I dont want to mess up my cycle if i dont have to, but dont want to start off with a mantis shrimp.

can i starve him out since i have nothing in the tank?

any other ideas as to what this could be?

i shined a bright flash light on him and got him to move. while he was moving i noticed the red crab-like legs. i think i have a hermit crab that came in my LR. He seems to be able to retreat into the hole deeper, but hasnt come totally out yet. I hope he makes it seeing as though my tank is still cycling.

all i can see is a few reddish looking legs seems like he has a flat body. I am thinking more along the lines of a emerald crab now that I have researched it.

after watching several youtube videos of mantis shrimp i was super paranoid i had one in my LR.

after watching several youtube videos of mantis shrimp i was super paranoid i had one in my LR.

This hobby actively breeds paranoia. Try to fight it, for your own sake.

Archived