Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

blue damsel fish acclimate

James89

hello, my cycle is over and today i introduced a blue damsel (yellow finned) and floated the bag he was in for 30 minutes. I introduced him to the tank and he went into a small cave in my liverock instantly. That was about 4 hours ago and has still not come out, is this normal?

Thanks

hello, my cycle is over and today i introduced a blue damsel (yellow finned) and floated the bag he was in for 30 minutes. I introduced him to the tank and he went into a small cave in my liverock instantly. That was about 4 hours ago and has still not come out, is this normal?

Thanks

Yep! They are little bastards to catch if you need to QT it or anything of this nature... its going to hide in there, it is a 'new place' to him and he is waiting until you are not looking to explore.

They love nooks and caves etc.. and will swim through them like crazy!

From my experience, most fish when you put them in a new environment will hide. Give it a day or two and your damsel will be swimming all around your tank getting into all sorts of trouble.

FYI- You will need to match your damsel with other aggressive/semi-aggressive fish as tankmates. They can be very territorial and you'll need to purchase tankmates that can stand their ground.

thanks for the replies. The guy at the lfs told me they arent agressive. So far in the cycled tank i have a hitchiker snail, blue legged hermit and the damsel. Im thinking of getting a yellow clown goby and shrimp combo? Would this be ok? Also will the damsel be an active swimmer in the tank? Thanks

thanks for the replies. The guy at the lfs told me they arent agressive. So far in the cycled tank i have a hitchiker snail, blue legged hermit and the damsel. Im thinking of getting a yellow clown goby and shrimp combo? Would this be ok? Also will the damsel be an active swimmer in the tank? Thanks

The lfs guy told you wrong. I had a damsel that I had to get rid of because it would not stop picking on tankmates. And it's tankmates were a sixline wrasse (known to be semi-aggressive) and a maroon clownfish (also aggressive) that were both significantly larger than he was.

The damsel will be an active swimmer, and I think you would be okay with a Yellow Watchman Goby and a pistol shrimp, because YWG's are hiders.

The guy at the lfs told me they arent agressive.

Damsels are considered some of the most aggressive fish in the hobby.

Im thinking of getting a yellow clown goby and shrimp combo? Would this be ok?

As far as I know, yellow clown gobies do not pair with shrimp. Perhaps you meant a yellow watchman goby?

Also will the damsel be an active swimmer in the tank? Thanks

Most damsels are pretty active and out in the open after they adjust.

thank you for the brilliant replies, well it will only be a yellow clown goby in the tank with it, but if it gets agressive then i'll return it to the lfs.

I did mean a yellow watchman goby, but upon thinking about it more, i dont know if my 1.5 inch sandbed will be enough for the watchmen goby/shrimp combo?

I did mean a yellow watchman goby, but upon thinking about it more, i dont know if my 1.5 inch sandbed will be enough for the watchmen goby/shrimp combo?

They will love your sand bed, in fact.. The pistol will continue to re-arrange the sand bed.. and then perhaps steal corals.

+1 on the blue leg hermit if you got a straggler thats pretty cool.

The Damsel will probably be 'peaceful' for a little bit.. and the longer he is in the tank, he will have more territory to call his own. The rock he is in right now he will defend it and shoe everything away.

Get that thing out! That fish is extremely aggressive and will torment any other fish you put in there.

Or not......no way to know at this point.

Or not......no way to know at this point.

While you're right, I'd put my money on it becoming a devil fish. However, if you put other aggressive fish or burrowing fish in, it shouldn't be an issue.

YWG/Pistol would do ok in a 1.5" SB, but they will dig it down to the glass if it's that shallow. Try to give them arching rock so they have something to go under, as they won't be able to dig tunnels.

Archived